Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree - Leaves Turning Yellow.

Shannon Carr

Novice Bonsai Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 4b
Country
United States
(New to the site, pardon any errors)
I got my bonsai tree about a month ago, June 29th, and I put it in my windowsill (north facing). It was doing great, I had been rotating it every day so both sides would get sun and a break from sun, but some of the leaves, on the side that touched the window a bit, were getting sunburned. Out of concern, I moved it from the windowsill to a bookshelf next to, not infront of, the window. I've watered everyday (which I'm guessing is overwatering for this spot) and the leaves have been turning yellowish brown and falling off with touch. I have since removed all the leaves so the tree wouldn't be giving nutrition to dead leaves. Should I move my tree back to it place on the windowsill? Any advice? Please help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not a bonsai expert, and not familiar with Chinese Elm specifically. But as I understand, bonsai miniature trees require the same conditions as their larger versions. Have you researched the "natural" growing conditions for Chinese Elm?

I'm thinking overwatering for sure, plus maybe too much heat coming through your window. That combination will scorch leaves easily even in your zone.

Ask a Question