Chia pets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone remember those Chia Pet planters that used to be sold at drug stores and major chain stores. I used to see them around Christmas time a lot, and there was that catchy song and commercial that used to play to advertise them. I have not seen these planters around in years, but I remember that my mom could never get them to grow, the seeds would just start to mold on the planter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, this post called up such nice memories! My husband got me a Chia Pet as a joke at Christmas--a sheep. I took it into the children's library where I was librarian and set it up on top of a bookshelf. Those children who helped in any way could water the Chia Pet. Those little darlings would tell me what they did to help keep the library tidy, and I'd take down the sheep for them to water. The grass grew, the children were thrilled, and I got a LOT of free labor!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now that song is stuck in my head! :oops: I am going to have to Google them and see if they are still around. I would never buy one, but am just curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never had a real Chia Pet planter, but I used to fill my mother's pantyhose with soil and grass seeds when I was a kid;) Then I watered them and waited for the grass to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen those commercials and always wanted one, but never get around to it for some reasons. I have the thought that they are not natural and that isn't good for consuming other than to look good :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We never consumed the Chia that grew on our pots, most of the time the seeds just rotted anyway. The ones that did grow, we just tossed them.

@claudine, that is so creative that you filled your mom's panty hose with grass seed and soil, did it just turn into a grass ball?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I never kept one personally but remember seeing the commercials all the time. It might have to do with lighting and getting the soil right enough to not rot the seeds. I know that with the way the pots are shaped that I suppose that it'd be harder to control the variables to prevent it from molding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw one in a big-box store recently. I was one of those Duck Dynasty guys and the Chi grew out his beard. I think it was called Chi Willy (strange how I remember this)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
LawnLilly, I don't consider you remembering that Chia Duck Dynasty thing as strange. I'm sure it was unforgettable, to say the least!:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We never consumed the Chia that grew on our pots, most of the time the seeds just rotted anyway. The ones that did grow, we just tossed them.

@claudine, that is so creative that you filled your mom's panty hose with grass seed and soil, did it just turn into a grass ball?
Yes, it turned into a grass ball. Then I drew eyes on it, so it looked like a doll's head:D Cutting the grass off of it was a lot of fun, I pretended I'm a hairdresser;)

Ask a Question