Cercis chinensis 'Avondale Redbud' tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
2016-04-25 Cercis chinensis 'Avondale Redbud'.jpg

Cercis chinensis 'Avondale Redbud' tree (from my garden, Apr. 25, 2016). The 'Avondale Redbud' is the showiest of all the Redbuds. This 7-year old tree came from the Dunkin & Davies Nurseries in New Zealand. I purchased and planted it in Aug. 2013 when it was 4 years old. It produces fantastic deep purple flowers along its branches and even on the main trunk. Early spring blooming can easily stop traffic because it is so stunning! It is growing about a foot a year and is 7-feet 7-inches tall now. It is too bad the blooming only lasts a few weeks and then only green leaves remain. In the fall, peapods appear, which is unusual for a tree! The tree goes bare for the winter.

Below is a close-up with a bee visiting:
2016-04-25 Cercis chinensis 'Avondale Redbud' (close-up with bee).jpg

This is what the tree looks like a month after the striking pink bloom has gone. You would not otherwise know it was the same tree.
2016-06-05 Cercis chinensis 'Avondale Redbud' (green leaves after bloom ended).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's absolutely beautiful! I love flowering trees.
The picture of the bee is super cute:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
This selection of the Chinese Redbud (Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' in the Pea Family, Fabaceae) is very lovely, and an unusual species to see in western gardens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qcurrys

Latest Threads