Central Leader Help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, all! Thanks for having me. I'm just getting started here with the bare landscape of my first home. Yesterday I planted my first trees. They are Keith Davey Chinese Pistaches. One of them looks great. The next best choice at the nursery, not so much. I know they are infamous for looking scraggly for the first several years, but I have concern that there appears to be no central leader and not much to work with. I'm hoping you could look at this poor quality picture and either tell me I have nothing to worry about, or give me tips on shaping. Should I try and tie that taller branch to what is left of the stake?
Thank you :)
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi, all! Thanks for having me. I'm just getting started here with the bare landscape of my first home. Yesterday I planted my first trees. They are Keith Davey Chinese Pistaches. One of them looks great. The next best choice at the nursery, not so much. I know they are infamous for looking scraggly for the first several years, but I have concern that there appears to be no central leader and not much to work with. I'm hoping you could look at this poor quality picture and either tell me I have nothing to worry about, or give me tips on shaping. Should I try and tie that taller branch to what is left of the stake?
Thank you :)View attachment 4532
It looks as if the left branch will now become the central leader, and looking at your local, a snow load will not be a problem. Kinda think the tree will remain a little stunted tho. Tie it? I'm one of those that don't believe in staking trees unless it is a very high wind area. By staking it the roots will not spread out like they would if it was not staked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been hesitant on the staking, myself. When we moved here, they had staked the crud out of our trees and I removed them because they were clearly impacting the trunk. Thanks for the reply!

Ask a Question