Catnip~ the easiest I've grown in a long time!

Reaction score
I bought some seeds from a farm store and let me tell you, these seeds sprouted in no time. I planted them in a windowsill box because I have like 4 cats that will go to town once this stuff grows a bit higher. The seeds sprouted just after 4 days of planting. I was uberly shocked.

Reaction score
I read on a frugal website that you can make a nice little side business by growing catnip, especially if you know how to sew and make cute little sachets and mice to entertain cats. I read about a hippie who used his gardening and sewing skills to create a full time catnip business. That sounds like such a fun way to earn money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
When i was growing up in Idaho, we had catnip out in the back yard. it was a perennial, or at least it re-seeded itself, because it came back every year, and it seemed like it also was spreading. We usually kept it pulled up around the edges to keep it from taking over the back yard. Our cats liked it, but they didn't actually eat a lot of it. I suppose that they probably had it there and could eat it any time they wanted some, so maybe it was not a big deal to our cats.
I read that it is part of the mint family, and that catnip tea is supposed to be good for you. I have tried it in tea, but I didn't really like the taste of it. it was like a really strong and odd-tasting mint.
One place where i lived, there was a lady that brought catnip in little bags to the farmer market, and she always seemed to be selling it, so i guess other people found it ok to make tea, or whatever they did with it.

Reaction score
I have grown this on multiple occasions and my cats are never interested in it. The weird thing is that if I sew it into sachets, as another poster mentioned, they really like it! I can't figure out why they only like it contained but not in the pots. Has anyone ever heard of this? It is so easy for me to grow that I don't want to give up on it. Not to mention that I can make the sachets for very little money but when I would buy them from the pet store they were about $9 each.

Reaction score
I have grown this on multiple occasions and my cats are never interested in it. The weird thing is that if I sew it into sachets, as another poster mentioned, they really like it! I can't figure out why they only like it contained but not in the pots. Has anyone ever heard of this? It is so easy for me to grow that I don't want to give up on it. Not to mention that I can make the sachets for very little money but when I would buy them from the pet store they were about $9 each.

Although it is true that all cats love catnip - not all like to eat it which is why some don't - but apparently all cats love the smell or rubbing up against it - which is why the catnip sachets and toys that you mention are extremely popular :D

As your cats are clearly very happy that you grow catnip for them and make them their very own sachets of their favorite " party " smell - I definitely wouldn't give up growing it and although mine mostly like to munch on their large catnip patch - since reading this thread - I shall be looking into making some catnip sachets for my cats too - so many thanks for the great idea :)

Reaction score
Cat nip is actually cat mint, and as other varieties in the mint family, it can be very invasive. It's good to keep it in pots!

Some cats are not interested in cat mint at all, it doesn't seem to have any effect on them and they show no interest.

I've had many cats and some cats will go wild and bounce off walls after an encounter, some just roll on the floor looking.. um... like they've just been very satisfied.

One of my cats loves cant mint so much that if I am brushing my teeth she insists on getting a smell of the toothpaste each time. She can pick up the mint, but when she finds it's not the 'right' mint she moves on.

I do wonder if the fact that catmint sewn into a sachet might have a more concentrated smell as it dries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried growing catnip. If it's so easy, I'll definitely try to do it. I want to make a gift for my friend. She has a few cats and she always buys catnip for them:) I'm sure she'll be very happy if I give her a few catnip sachets:D
Is this herb edible? Can I add it to my food?

Reaction score
Yes, it's suitable for human consumption, made into tea it has medicinal properties. In this case it is normally listed and sold as cat mint, but it is the exact same thing as catnip.

Reaction score
I've tried starting some catnip from seed, too, but I only had one sprout out of who knows how many seeds, and that little sprout didn't make it. I'm pretty certain the seeds I got were an old batch, so I'm hoping to either find some "fresher" seeds or purchase some already sprouted catnip. It still seems a little early around here to get the sprouted stuff, so I guess I'll have to wait a more weeks.

Reaction score
I would give it another go Capricorn's Quandary especially as cat nip is extremely easy to grow and generally comes up in abundance pretty quickly and as April/May or September are the best times to sow it - now would be a very good time to do it :)

As I've just mentioned its extremely easy to grow claudine and is in fact grown in much the same way as the rest of the mint family and yes as Meowmie has already mentioned - it is perfectly safe for human consumption and apart from its many other medicinal uses - is commonly used for its calming and sedative properties - as its said to be very good for those with anxiety or sleep problems :)

I've also heard it said - although I probably shouldn't give people ideas on this one - that people often smoke it as an alternative to marijuana :D

Reaction score
Kitties like variety I'm their nip too. My neighbor buys different kinds and puts them all on the table for her cat to choose. Spoiled...

Reaction score
It sounds like you got just the right plants and are starting them off quite nicely!! It's great to hear that your catnip is doing well. I'm sure there will be some happy cats in your household!

Reaction score
I bought some seeds from a farm store and let me tell you, these seeds sprouted in no time. I planted them in a windowsill box because I have like 4 cats that will go to town once this stuff grows a bit higher. The seeds sprouted just after 4 days of planting. I was uberly shocked.
I am glad to hear this! I bought a seedling packet a few days ago for two reasons:
1) I just wanted to see how well it would grow.
2) We have a kitty, and if it does, in fact, grow, I want to see if she'll eat it. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Ask a Question