Castor Beans

Reaction score
My husband brought home some caster beans from a job he worked on, a while back. He said the flowers were beautiful, but the plant is highly toxic. I think it is just if you eat the bean, I'm not sure. I have the beans in my freezer, I am not too sure about planting it. Does anyone have any experience with a castor bean plant? Just wondering if it is worth planting, especially since I have cats outside. I was thinking about using them in a seed exchange.

Reaction score
Hey there Miriam! I'm sorry to inform you ALL the parts of this plant are toxic, but the most poisoning and dangerous one are the seeds. So be cautious if you decide to plant this. You must be really careful if you own small animals that could come into contact with that plant.

Reaction score
I was thinking about taking the beans to my local garden club. I think they could preserve the seeds better, as I do not wish to harm my animals. I plan on having more animals later, and do not want to risk their health. I am still curious to see if anyone else has grown any, though.

Reaction score
No I haven't and don't plan on doing so. Too many critters around where I live and I don't want to be responsible for wiping them out! Seriously, I don't even know what a castor bean plant looks like and I don't plan on finding out.

Reaction score
Mariam - you are very wise to be cautious - as although the Castor Bean Plant is extremely attractive the whole of the plant and the beans are highly toxic to humans, animals and insects and it is in fact regarded as one of the most poisonous plants in the World, which is why I am posting some pictures of what it looks like - so that all those who don't know it what it looks like can identify it.

Ricinus Communis otherwise known as the Castor Bean or Castor Oil Plant

ricinus communis castor plant.jpg

Ricinus-communis-704.jpg

ricinus castor-plant.jpg

Reaction score
I grew and sold castor beans for years. They are highly toxic. I stopped selling them after somone laced a letter to Obama with the resin that comes from them. It just made me feel afraid that someone may have ill intent with the seeds I sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I grew some years back, i dug them up every fall and threw them out and replanted in the spring, They grow real fast
My pets never had a problem with them in the yard

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, this is not a plant that I ever heard of and don't think I want to have it in my garden. It looks pretty but I'll pass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Anyone ever hear of castor oil? The plants used to be grown as a commercial crop here in Florida, probably still is.Castor oil has many medicinal uses. It is true that ricin can be derived from it. Heat destroys the toxin. Castor oil is listed as "generally regarded as safe". Care should be taken when harvesting the beans. Many people use them as an ornamental here in Florida.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Mariam - you are very wise to be cautious - as although the Castor Bean Plant is extremely attractive the whole of the plant and the beans are highly toxic to humans, animals and insects and it is in fact regarded as one of the most poisonous plants in the World, which is why I am posting some pictures of what it looks like - so that all those who don't know it what it looks like can identify it.

Ricinus Communis otherwise known as the Castor Bean or Castor Oil Plant

View attachment 1761

View attachment 1760

View attachment 1762
There are many much more toxic plants, such as oleander.

Reaction score
There are many much more toxic plants, such as oleander.

Although I too am fully aware of that - as the subject matter of this thread is solely that of Ricinus Communis otherwise known as the Castor Bean Plant - I didn't mention them - simply because I didn't feel it fair to confuse the issue by going off topic and discussing other poisonous plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
My reply above was based on the misrepresentation of the castor bean as being regarded as "one of the most toxic plants in the world" when we have plants that are many orders more toxic, such as the rosary pea, water hemlock, monkshood, several nightshades, angel trumpets. Ricin has to be extracted from many beans by a complicated process in order to be used as a poison. take a needle and stick it into a rosary pea and then prick it into your finger and you will die a slow and rreversble painful death.

Reaction score
It does not require much Ricin from a castor bean to be deadly. One bean can kill an adult in minutes. It is more poisonous than arsenic!

Reaction score
My reply above was based on the misrepresentation of the castor bean as being regarded as "one of the most toxic plants in the world" when we have plants that are many orders more toxic, such as the rosary pea, water hemlock, monkshood, several nightshades, angel trumpets. Ricin has to be extracted from many beans by a complicated process in order to be used as a poison. take a needle and stick it into a rosary pea and then prick it into your finger and you will die a slow and rreversble painful death.

With all due respect - if you feel that it was a misrepresentation to say that Ricinus Communus or The Caster Bean Plant is regarded as ONE of the most toxic plants in the World - then I suggest that perhaps you aim your frustrations regarding the pedantics of that statement - at all the many professional bodies whose reports regarding toxicity are widely available online - rather than aiming them at me.

Particularly as I previously mentioned - as the topic of this thread is solely that of discussing Ricinus Communus or The Caster Bean Plant and not any other plant variety - I would prefer - out of respect and consideration to others - not to deviate from the original subject matter.

As far as I'm concerned - whether or not Ricinus Communus or The Caster Bean Plant is regarded as ONE of the Worlds most toxic plants - really doesn't matter - as from which ever way you want to look at - it doesn't alter the fact that this IS a very poisonous plant and one which - if you feel any kind of responsibility for the welfare and well-being of those around you and especially that of young children or animals - is not one that you would wish to have growing in your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The fact is that the castor (n.b. the spelling) bean plant is less or no more toxic than many other plants commonly grown in gardens, The commercial ornamental varieties probably contain less ricin, the toxic component. It us highly recommended that you not go through the process of extracting this dangerous toxin. It is a slow acting poison, which makes it attractive for assassinations, allowing you to flee the country before symptoms are detected. You may achieve the same result from the rosary pea without having to extract the toxin. The platinum micro-spherules and umbrella guns favored to deliver ricin require access to top-level labs associated with KGB or CIA type organizations. A simple sewing needle would suffice. If you are around any plants, do not eat the beans. Also, don't eat tomato leaves, or consume too many green tomatos, as they are also toxic. So are green potatoes and potato leaves.

Ask a Question