Cascading plants

Reaction score
We will be taking a plant shelf out of the pond this weekend and want to know if there is a perennial that I can plant that will cascade over the liner and into the pond without being toxic to the fish. There is not much planting space.

Reaction score
I have Isotoma fluviatilis 'Blue Star Creeper' (Laurentia) growing in the rocks of my pond. It is really pretty with little blue flowers. It can also be used around stepping stones because it can be walked on. When it grew into the pond the fish would nibble on it and had no effect to the fish. In my small pond the blue star creeper is actually growing in muck among the rock in my waterfall. Others like Creeping Jenny, I have that too, but it can get out of control.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love phlox and all the colors it comes in and it flowers most of the summer here and it hangs down and really makes for a pretty sight

Reaction score
I've got some Phlox, ours only stays in bloom for spring, than it's just green the rest of the year. I use to have a bullfrog that liked to hide in it. I'll see if our nursery has the blue star creeper. That sounds pretty.

Reaction score
These are some pics of my Blue star. The plants are now starting to bloom and will bloom for a couple months if not all summer. The one in the rocks will spread A LOT during the year. I was actually surprised it survived the winter growing in the rocks but we did have an amazingly mild winter. For Ohio if you have the blue star up there it should do fine as long as the plant is planted in soil and not just shoved into the rocks like I did. The other pic is the new blue star we just planted to fill in the area between our stepping stones. The last pic is off the internet to show you the flowers.

Attachments

• 100_6926.JPG
    100_6926.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 614
  • 100_6929.JPG
    100_6929.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 578
  • blue_star_creeper_2.jpg
    blue_star_creeper_2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,760
Reaction score
Yes, it will be planted in soil. I think that would make an excellent plant. I have this one ground cover, it has purple flowers on it. It's more of a vine. I think it was from the Steppable plants also.

Reaction score
That is what I like about the blue star, it's not a vine and it is constantly rooting as it grows. In southern areas you can wash off the dirt from the roots and stick the root mass in between rocks around the pond so the roots are in the water and it will grow.

Reaction score
I don't know the name of the purple one, but I planted it so it would hopefully vine around the bog.

Attachments

• IMGP0316.JPG
    IMGP0316.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 571
Reaction score
I know that plant but can't think of the name. Now it will drive me nuts until I find out.

Reaction score
lol .... sorry. I'm thinking it was in the steppables thing. That's usually what I plant around the pond because everyone is always walking on it.

Reaction score
Took a trip to Lowes today and got my Blue Star Creeper. Bought 4 of them. That should be enough to go the length of the pond where the wall was. They sort of look like my Thyme. Just not as fuzzy. I also noticed I have a "blue" theme going on around the pond with my selection of plants .... lol Too cold to plant now, will have to wait till it warms up some.
Thanks for the great suggestion on these plants !!

Reaction score
I went to the Stepables website and looked, it actually looks like a Blue Moneywort. But, I'm not positive. It has really taken off this year.

Reaction score
I had some sedum dasyphyllum growing on my hill and a piece broke off so I planted on my rock edge in the creek and it is doing quite well. Plan on putting some more pieces around the edge.

SedumdasyphyllumMajor.JPG

Ask a Question