Carnations - Pinks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks.

I ordered some carnation plants last month. They arrived this morning, but to my 'amazement' (well surprise anyway) they were tiny plants in thimble-sized containers. (A fairy's thimble too; they are so small!) They look well and strong of course, so I want to make sure they survive. As I know they have to be potted on, I have just ordered some nice new little potties!

Problem is, I can't seem to find anything on-line regarding when to plant them out. I don't have a greenhouse so I can't overwinter them properly. (I might be able to make a cold-frame before the worst weather sets in.)

So is it going to be safe to plant them out in the autumn, after they have gained a little height? Or should I find someone with all the facilities and give them to a grateful new owner?

Thanks folks. I am obliged.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
According to what I've read, they like the cooler temps but certainly not freezing. I have a bunch of them that I grew in a shady area in an attempt to keep them cooler than the other beds but to my surprise, these dwarf plants grew to some 16" and I was not prepared for that so they are falling all over the place. I started a new batch a week ago in a pot that has supports attached and plan to grow them in the greenhouse in the fall/early winter then shift them to my basement under lights. The basement is cool so am hoping this will work.

I would think that if you put them in containers, you could shift them as needed, just like I plan to do.

I love the smell of carnations and that is why I am growing them. Now even funerals don't smell as nice anymore because everyone is using scentless flowers so as not to offend those with olfactory issues. Stupid.

Let us know how yours do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
That's an idea Lori. I have some spare containers hanging about. I'll consider that.

I never heard of scentless flowers; and I struggle to see the point of them. Flowers serve two main purpose as far as humans are concerned; they look nice and they small nice. They also happen to help other plants propagate, via the bees and the birds; and the scent is surely a part of that process.

Thank you for that.

Regards
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also love the scent of carnations, in fact one of my favourite soaps is Roger & Gallet Carnation scented soap, smells exactly like the real thing.
No advice on growing them as I never have, but I agree with @CanadianLori that scentless flowers are stupid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I also love the scent of carnations, in fact one of my favourite soaps is Roger & Gallet Carnation scented soap, smells exactly like the real thing.
No advice on growing them as I never have, but I agree with @CanadianLori that scentless flowers are stupid.

Ohhhhh, carnation scented soap. Going to find that right now! Thank you.

you are most welcome John. I do a lot of container growing. It's my version of gardening for dummies as I am pretty clueless about flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oops, a little bit more than what I am willing to pay, $328.35 for a box!!!

Whut? :eek: Maybe you were looking at crate pricing? :D

OK, I know Canadian dollars are a bit different but in USD through Amazon I pay $28.00, and because it's fine-milled those three soaps last the better part of a year. It's been a tradition in my family for decades because my mother loves it so one of us kids always buys some for her at Christmas, and I buy myself a box at the same time. I still have some, from last December.
http://www.amazon.com/Roger-Gallet-Carnation-Perfumed-Boxed/dp/B001O4G1H2

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carnation scented soap is new to me, I love carnations. I have never thought of growing them. I will have to look into starting a pot for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Whut? :eek: MaybI you were looking at crate pricing? :D

OK, I know Canadian dollars are a bit different but in USD through Amazon I pay $28.00, and because it's fine-milled those three soaps last the better part of a year. It's been a tradition in my family for decades because my mother loves it so one of us kids always buys some for her at Christmas, and I buy myself a box at the same time. I still have some, from last December.
http://www.amazon.com/Roger-Gallet-Carnation-Perfumed-Boxed/dp/B001O4G1H2

Followed the link a couple of times because I thought i did something wrong. It takes me to a listjng for 3 bars at $210. USD.

Reaction score
Followed the link a couple of times because I thought i did something wrong. It takes me to a listjng for 3 bars at $210. USD.
That is an incredible price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I grew carnations for the first time ever this year, and so this year was the first time I had ever SMELLED one! I had only seen the scentless ones the florists use!

The scent really is wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a new carnation plant I purchased a couple months ago; if I recall, it is cold hardy. However, cold hardy for me and cold hardy for you are two different things. I suggest you prepare to protect your from extreme cold. Anything below freezing can do damage, even if it doesn't kill the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Lori (y) We had such a mild winter last year, so hopefully they will be ok outside - and if not you can move them easily if they're in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
I started the potting on of 40 carnation plants thi afternoon. I don't have a greenhouse, so I am hoping to finish a garden cold-frame during the next week , so I can overwinter them. I am hoping for a nice display in the borders next year!
Forlorn hope or not, I am going to try it!"

Ask a Question