Can you help me with this plant seen at Legoland ?

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 315

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Those fruits you see look fuzzy but are not. They are hard and seem to start out gree with some bright orange ones seen on the ground.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The skin of the jack ruit looks right, but those fruits are huge. If it is that it must be some sort odor ornamental version.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

Here is the image that refers to the link I have posted

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=d...OO1IhKNUM:&usg=__rLYpfREKXywJL_4hI9CQV8b6YRE=

The image that is shown in your link does not match.

Reaction score

I believe that Arbutus matches the description given perfectly..

Quote..."They are hard and seem to start out green with some bright orange ones seen on the ground."

The leaves of Ficus elastica are different in shape and veins.
The fruits grow from the trunk in short stalks and do not hang down in clusters as Arbutus does.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ficus+elastica+leaf&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZUiaVdH1LojigwTv5KrQDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=728

We will let JHB decide as they saw the plant!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree its definitely not a jack fruit or rubber tree.

However - although I initially thought it may be a loquat, longan or lychee - as the leaves don't quite match any of those - I too would agree that it is an Arbutus - more commonly known as " The Strawberry Tree " - especially as I see them often as they grow wild here.

I would also just say - don't be fooled by the name - as the fruits don't taste anything like strawberries - in fact they are very much an acquired taste - so much so - that I prefer them for their ornamental value only - oh and also - as not all varieties of Arbutus have edible fruits - it would probably be a good idea to identify exactly which variety of tree it is - if planning to eat the fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No way can it be jack fruit! The shape is all wrong to be jack fruit. They look more like lychees since the shape and the skin texture are very similar. It is interesting to know for sure that it is the lychee tree and their fruits.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It could be either Arbutus or lychee. As we can't really tell the size of the fruit it's difficult to decide.

They, also, have similar leaves but the lychee leaves tend to be thinner than Arbutus. So I'm veering on the side of Arbutus.

Lychee fruit tend to grow in bigger bunches, and tend to be more pendulous, than in your picture but that doesn't necessarily exclude them as your photos, unfortunately, are not clear enough.

You'll have to go back and pick one in order to tell! :LOL:

Reaction score
I also considered Litchi chinensis....the leaves are compound with leaflets in pairs . ..but ruled it out as I do not believe the leaves fit...

Lychee...."Its evergreen leaves, 5 to 8 in (12.5-20 cm) long, are pinnate, having 4 to 8 alternate, elliptic-oblong to lanceolate, abruptly pointed, leaflets, somewhat leathery, smooth, glossy, dark-green on the upper surface and grayish-green beneath,"

"Leaves are 10 to 25 cm (3.9 to 9.8 in) or longer, with leaflets in 2-4 pairs"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Litchi_chinensis_leaf.png

http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=93329&flora_id=2

Ask a Question