Can someone identify this plant? tree? branch?

Reaction score
Hello!
Have this plant that had been growing quite well throughout spring, summer, and fall. Now that it's winter, some of the leaves have been falling off and it's now not growing any new ones...

Can someone also assist me in identifying the name of the plant? When I know the name of plant, I'll be better able to research how to care for it more properly.

Thanks everyone/anyone ; )

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 463

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Not sure about the plant i'm afraid.

Reaction score
Haha - at the moment even though I've tried everything from standing on my head to lying on the ground :D the best suggestion I can up with as to what you plant may - is that it is a very, very poorly - ficus elastica or rubber plant
which can be grown either houseplants or outdoor plants

Did your plant look anything like this one - before it got sick ?

ficus-elastica-robusta.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought Rubber Plant, but it didn't look much like the one I grew as a kid Gata.

I remember cleaning the leaves with milk for some forgotten reason,

Reaction score
zigs - I agree in its poor state of health it is very difficult to determine exactly what this plant is and especially so when lying on ones side :D but it does bear a very striking resemblance to an extremely ill rubber plant that I came across in a friends house a few years ago.

It could also be Cryptostegia Madagascarienensis which looks very similar but with smaller leaves - but as it is now classed as an invasive weed and not cultivated - didn't mention it because its very rarely seen.

Even though you can buy leaf shine products - I know a lot of people that do the same as you did and use milk to make the leaves shiny and have even heard of people using squeezed out teabags, banana skins and even mayonnaise for the same purpose
:D

Reaction score
Good point @gata montes it does look like a rubber plant. I did not see that at first, but i guess that is how a rubber plant would look it it was extremely pruned. Great observation!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I concur. This is a Frangipani (Plumeria sp.) in the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae).

I don't if care this thread began in 2014. It's still a Frangipani.

Ask a Question