Can i use hay for the garden?

Reaction score
We made scarecrows in the fall this year for a contest. It was a lot of fun for the kids and now I am trying to figure out what to do with the hay so I can have my clothes back that are on the scarecrows!

I know it can be used on top of grass seed, but does hay have a good use in the garden too? Or should I just throw it out because I am not planning on laying down grass seed any time soon? Maybe it can keep animals away from the plants when I start them in the spring if the hay lasts that long.

I just thought I would try to find a good use as I am one to recycle or reuse when I can.

Jed

Reaction score
We made scarecrows in the fall this year for a contest. It was a lot of fun for the kids and now I am trying to figure out what to do with the hay so I can have my clothes back that are on the scarecrows!

I know it can be used on top of grass seed, but does hay have a good use in the garden too? Or should I just throw it out because I am not planning on laying down grass seed any time soon? Maybe it can keep animals away from the plants when I start them in the spring if the hay lasts that long.

I just thought I would try to find a good use as I am one to recycle or reuse when I can.
Hay is full of seed and potentially weeds you currently don't have.:eek:
If it's only a small amount, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Though I would put it in a pile, doing layers of hay and manure to try and break it down. The weeds and seeds may still pop up but if you use it thickly as a compost mulch you should be able to tackle the problem of unwanted grass or weeds.
Straw is best used on the garden straight as a mulch or composted.
The seed from straw is usually wheat, oats or barley and these kinds of weeds are easy to pull out once sprouted.:)

Reaction score
Hay is full of seed and potentially weeds you currently don't have.:eek:
If it's only a small amount, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Though I would put it in a pile, doing layers of hay and manure to try and break it down. The weeds and seeds may still pop up but if you use it thickly as a compost mulch you should be able to tackle the problem of unwanted grass or weeds.
Straw is best used on the garden straight as a mulch or composted.
The seed from straw is usually wheat, oats or barley and these kinds of weeds are easy to pull out once sprouted.:)
I only have a small garden in my small yard so I am thinking maybe it would be better to see if anybody else near me wants it. I didn't realize it has potential weeds, thank you for mentioning that! I get enough weeds in my little garden as it is. I don't have any manure either to mix with it because of how small my garden is.

Jed

Reaction score
I only have a small garden in my small yard so I am thinking maybe it would be better to see if anybody else near me wants it. I didn't realize it has potential weeds, thank you for mentioning that! I get enough weeds in my little garden as it is. I don't have any manure either to mix with it because of how small my garden is.
Good choice. I didn't want to discourage you from using it but the weeds are a pain in the proverbial.
All the weeds I introduced to my virgin bushblock I introduced myself mostly from bringing home hay.
I've spent years reducing my Californian thistles(creeping thistle) and Scotch thistles to name a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you're not doing any kind of growing that incorporates the use of hay, such as potatoes, it is probably best to get rid of if. I'm sure if you put it on Craig's list someone will be more than happy to take if off of your hands.

Reaction score
You have the right answers here. We used a small bundle of hay for our crib one Christmas and were left with weeds that we had to handle for some time. I am really wary of bring in hay because of that.,. But hay could be used as bed for small animals or as feed for cattle.... i am sure those who compost would love to have the hay as well... However, don't let it lie around as it could cause a growth of weeds in your little garden.

Reaction score
I never realized theses issues with using hay before. In the past, I have used it like mulch. I might need to try something else as a natural weed barrier in the garden.

Reaction score
All good advice. Which is why I compost. Depending on your climate, we also used hay around the bases of the younger trees to avoid frost or cold damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never realized theses issues with using hay before. In the past, I have used it like mulch. I might need to try something else as a natural weed barrier in the garden.

If you have used it successfully in the past without any problems then why fix what isn't broken? My mother has a few bales of hay sitting under plastic in the sun with the idea that if there are any seeds they will be killed from the accumulated heat. Of course it's just occurred to me that with all the moisture here she'll be lucky if the whole thing doesn't mildew!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, my neighbors use it around the plants to stop weeds coming up as well as to protect from snails.

Ask a Question