Can anyone help with my dragonfruit plant?

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I have a few problems with my dragonfruit plant.
I have a section where it looks like roots growing out.
There is something that is scale like.
There are these dot marks.
I don't know if the bug is a problem.

I would love any help as its the first dragonfruit plant i have ever had.
Please see the photos.

Attachments

• DSC00243.JPG
    DSC00243.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC00244.jpg
    DSC00244.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC00248.JPG
    DSC00248.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC00250.jpg
    DSC00250.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The appearance roots means the stem is getting old and ripe for cutting to be transplanted. When overaged, the stem develops withered spots like it is decaying. That is normal. With the red marks, I cannot say anything although it looks like the work of a pest. Our dragonfruit has been here for almost 10 years and it has given us plenty of fruits. From time to time, we cut some planting materials to be given away to those who want.

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you. I am confused about the appearance of roots as it's only a few years old. I might cut it off and transplant it.
I'll give it a light spray of eco-oil tomorrow teach the pest a lesson lol
How long did it take for your plants to produce fruit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did some brief reading on Dragon fruit plants. An what I was able to learn from some online gardening books and magazines is your problem is normal for Cacti type plants. The roots you have are called aerial roots, they don't really harm the plant when they dry up and die however it's recommend to cut them off and to keep your leaves around more moisture. So good luck as far as those funky looking roots goes:sick:. Those red spots look like you may have a little pest in your mitts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think we can grow dragon fruit here in Michigan since our summer is short, but I love to buy it once in a while to eat. It is quite expensive here! The flesh looks like Kiwi but white. I wish you the best in taking care of that dragon fruit plant.

Ask a Question