Cactus inside an office?

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a cactus for my cubicle at the office and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to do so. I chose this because I'm thinking it doesn't need to be watered everyday. Can you share other tips on taking care of a small cactus plant in an office? Thanks.

Jed

Reaction score
Cactus/succulents are prone to rot so ensure fast drainage.
Don't let the water sit in the saucer. The spines supposedly capture negative energy from computer screens according to the beliefs of Feng Shui.
Others believe it expresses a good business like approach when on a table next to where one sits.
I prefer the spineless succulents aloe vera it being my favourite.:)

Reaction score
I agree with Jed.. cactus's are ideal for office spaces as they do not need constant watering. A fast draining soil is best.. light watering once a week may be enough. I would add activated coal or pieces of lovely little granite stones in my pot to ensure that there is no root rot.
I love cactus's.. and there are many varieties that could be used as an attractive display in an office cubicle. Grafted cactus's are lovely.. and colorful.
grafted_tri.jpg
grafted.jpg

Reaction score
I saw this photo of common office plants on Pinterest and it reminded me of this thread. If you get even a little light in your cubicle, you don't have to limit yourself to a cactus.

454f054d0de94a03924df770c5bf6115.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. If I sit in an area where I'm away from the window and only get fluorescent lighting, would that be a problem?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. If I sit in an area where I'm away from the window and only get fluorescent lighting, would that be a problem?
As long as your plant gets sufficient light for 8-10 hours as in nature it should be enough. Artificial or natural light doesn't really matter. When you have plants like diffenbachia, crotons, anthurium you should take a lot of precautions to ensure that they are pest free. The white mealy bug plaques these plants in offices. You need to remove your plant from the soil in which it is planted wash of the roots and plant it in fresh sterile soil for keeping it in your garden. When you have cactus's these problems are minimal.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The croton is one of my favorite plants, I like the viberant colors of the croton, it's a happy plant. Pest do like this plant, When every I have had one I have had to give it extra care.

Reaction score
Artificial light will be sufficient, so long as you keep up with its other needs like water and soil conditions, then it should be fine. I love the ones that get little flowers/blooms on them, too, so consider the different types before you buy one.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The snake plant is also easy to care for, just water it once a week and you are good. Once the plant has put out new growth you do want to break it up into several plants so that it does not become pot bound. My snake plant has been good in less than direct light.

Reaction score
Cactus in the office, sitting on your desk, are very easy to maintain. Especially if you have florescent lighting in your office, as many do. I've always thought a cactus or two, sitting on a desk is just too boring for me.. no offense. You could have the cactus and a couple other plants. You can't forget to water the plants, they are sitting right in front of you, 5 days a week. That's really how I got my start in horticulture, and my love for plants and indoor gardening, started from one pothos on my desk, over 20 years ago. That plant grew all over my desk and eventually outgrew my desk, I had to take it home. Once I got it home, the plant began to grow all over my wall in my tiny little den, it began to grow around the corner, toward my bedroom, in the efficiency apartment that I lived in. That was the beginning of my love for plants, now I have about 60 in my home and would have more if I had a couple more rooms with more sun light ..

Come on, you can do better than a cactus.. we'll help you keep your plants watered ..

Reaction score
I think a cactus is great for an office atmosphere, and perfectly low maintenance. I do remember having cactii before that got all moldy because they didn't drain well, so that's definitely something to keep an eye on, like the others said.

Reaction score
There are various kinds of cactus and make sure you choose one that brings a brighter atmosphere in the office. Sometimes, just adding a color, or a new thing, in then office makes the workplace more conducive in working,thus creating a more productive day. If I may suggest, choose one that has the brightest of greens. Or if possible, the one that has variety of colors. Cactus maintenance is pretty low, but there is still some maintenance to follow so make sure you and your officemates take turns in doing that. Good luck on your endeavor with cactus!

Reaction score
I've kept a pot of succulents on my desk for years now. They're doing great! They're very easy to maintain--they like to be left alone. Just make sure they're dry enough, maybe use a sandier potting soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cacti are great for offices as they do not require much care. They do need some sunlight though so you will want to make sure it is by a window...and make sure your coworkers do not get poked by it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be honest I have never really known why this is a thing, but it has probably been the case at every office that I have been in. Sure enough, if you look hard enough, there is a cactus somewhere. I am curious to see where this little trend started, and why it continues. I have nothing against it, but it is kind of strange.

Ask a Question