Cabbage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grow varieties that will mature before it getshot. Cabbage likes fertile soil and nitrogen. Don't plant it close together, try for about 2ft apart. Keep moist but not wet. Keep a close watch out for loopers (tiny little green caterpillars that make holes in the leaves) and use Bt on them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, I grow small cabbages with little pointed hearts over the winter.
I plant mine 4 inches apart.
At that distance they will not heart, but I gradually thin them, taking two plants out of three for spring greens, (do you call them collards?), and letting the third heart up for early cabbage.
The varieties I have grown are, Durham Early, April, Duncan and Wheelers Imperial

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Grow varieties that will mature before it getshot. Cabbage likes fertile soil and nitrogen. Don't plant it close together, try for about 2ft apart. Keep moist but not wet. Keep a close watch out for loopers (tiny little green caterpillars that make holes in the leaves) and use Bt on them.
Thank you, I have been looking into things and these are all great tips. I will definitely keep an eye out for the little caterpillars.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never tried to grow cabbage but I am very interested too! I love cabbage and buy it ever week. I love making salads from it or cooking it. It is such an easy and healthy vegetable to work with. However, I find that sometimes buying it in the store can get pricey. Does anyone have any tips on how to grow it? Does it take a lot of room? Any advice would be helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cabbages are easy to grow if you have the right climate.
NY State may be a little cold at the peak of winter, but many varieties will survive pretty harsh conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've never tried to grow cabbage but I am very interested too! I love cabbage and buy it ever week. I love making salads from it or cooking it. It is such an easy and healthy vegetable to work with. However, I find that sometimes buying it in the store can get pricey. Does anyone have any tips on how to grow it? Does it take a lot of room? Any advice would be helpful.
I agree, it is a very easy and yummy veggie to cook with! Yes in New York it does get really cold, so I think the key is just to do your research to find out what kind of cabbage can stand up to the coldest winters and start there. You don't want them to die on you! I know they need space, I believe I read that its best to plant them about 24 in apart if you can.

Ask a Question