Butterfly Bush question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I'm new here and I had a question regarding my butterfly bush I received last month. It seemed to be doing fine, but I noticed it's leaves starting to brown from towards the inside of the Bush coming outward. It's still very small as I have a apartment balcony garden so it's in a decently sized pot. But yeah I water it whenever the soil is dry, so I don't think it's getting over watered, and seeing how I live in San deigo, I need to water it about every other day or so, so I don't think it's getting under watered either. But somethings going on, I heard that they need good drainage, and the pot I have kinda has a weird one hole drainage system so could that be it? The other thing I though is that since it's "winter" here could the dry brown leaves be sort of a die back or whatever, but the leaves on the outside branches are still green and thriving, but I fear the brown will only spread what should I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Buddleia's are plants that will grow just about anywhere but ideally they are happier in the ground. With just one hole for drainage it is best to cover that hole with a stone or piece of broken pot so that it doesn't clog up with soil and allows it to drain freely. It may also help to put a shallow layer of gravel in the bottom.

I'm not sure of your climate, if you could put your area and hardiness zone in your avatar box it would help please. The fact that it's winter where you are suggests that it's natural die back and it will re-shoot next spring. Just keep it moist when watering over the winter months and when it shows signs of life again in the spring it would be best to give it a feed. When plants are kept in pots they use all the nutrients in the soil within a short space of time, so feeding them throughout the growing season is best but not during the winter months.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Be very careful with Butterfly Bush, it is invasive here in the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, they say, it will grow anywhere. BUT the one we got did not get the memo. After couple years it gave up the ghost. It was in a good place, enough sun, enough shade, good moisture. So then we put in the Joe Pye Weed, and that thing attracts butterflies like crazy, comes up hardy and bigger year after year. It is a native to this area. So no, our butterfly bush was not invasive, it turned its tail and ran way.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So then we put in the Joe Pye Weed, and that thing attracts butterflies like crazy, comes up hardy and bigger year after year. It is a native to this area. So no, our butterfly bush was not invasive, it turned its tail and ran way.

Yes, any plant can fail, even if it's invasive. The biggest threat is that it can spread well beyond the yard and into wild areas.

I'm absolutely thrilled that you switched to the native Joe Pye Weed! I suggest adding some Swamp Milkweed too. It goes well next to Joe Pye Weed and it's flowers are phenomenal!
IMG_2059 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_1889 (2) copy.jpg

& of course, my absolute favorite replacement for Butterfly Bush is Butterflyweed, also called Orange Milkweed.
IMG_1902 copy.jpg

IMG_3380 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't believe all of these weeds have such gorgeous flowers @JBtheExplorer ! Your pictures are stunning and the colors of the flowers are also amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Our Butterfly Weeds are native a wild flower in the dry hot climate of the southern plains. The one pictured had been transplanted to this property by the previous owner about 35 years ago.

Attachments

• Butterfly Weed 5-23-14.jpg
    Butterfly Weed 5-23-14.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is interesting and thanks @The green hand for bringing it up. I had determined to plant some butterfly bushes next spring but apparently there are better/more native choices for where I live.

How does the length of the flowering season compare between it and the Joe Pye?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our Butterfly Weeds are native a wild flower in the dry hot climate of the southern plains.

Orange Milkweed is actually native to almost all of the US, so it'll do great for anyone in the US. Of course, it wouldn't succeed in Alaska, but it can grow in all lower 48 states, including those not in green.

Asclepias tuberosa.jpg

Can't believe all of these weeds have such gorgeous flowers

That's because they aren't weeds at all, just poorly named plants. (y)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very pretty flowers on the plants. I am not sure if I have seen that plant around here, I know I have some milkweed in my yard but have not seen those flowers on the weeds. I have tried hard to rid my yard of that plant it just will not give up.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very pretty flowers on the plants. I am not sure if I have seen that plant around here, I know I have some milkweed in my yard but have not seen those flowers on the weeds. I have tried hard to rid my yard of that plant it just will not give up.

You probably have Common Milkweed, which spreads by underground rhizomes as well as seeds. I personally don't have experience with Common Milkweed, but my neighbor has had it in his asparagus garden along our property line for years and I haven't seen it become an issue or spread anywhere else. He leaves it in for the Monarch Butterflies and removes the stalks before the seeds fly.

Orange Milkweed in particular doesn't spread by rhizomes.
Like most plants, it can spread by seeds, but it takes months for the pods to form and ripen, so it's easy to remove long before the seed pods release seeds, so it'll never spread where you don't want it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never had any luck growing butterfly bush, they last on season and never come back. The butterfly weed and the Joe Pye weed are invasive but I just move the to a place where the can keep growing. they help bring Butterflies, Bees and other pollinators to my gardens.

Ask a Question