bunching onions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I want to plant bunching onion seed all the perimeter of my small garden plot as i have heard they will keep multiplying over time then you can harvest what you want and they will just grow back again. Has anyone done this and if so is there a particular kind that you would use. I remember when a small kid, my parents garden had these planted close to the fence and they called them "winter onions" i think these are the same as multiplier or bunching onions. help me out here if anyone knows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want to plant bunching onion seed all the perimeter of my small garden plot as i have heard they will keep multiplying over time then you can harvest what you want and they will just grow back again. Has anyone done this and if so is there a particular kind that you would use. I remember when a small kid, my parents garden had these planted close to the fence and they called them "winter onions" i think these are the same as multiplier or bunching onions. help me out here if anyone knows.
There are two types of bunching or multiplier onions. One, and I think what you are referring to, are mostly called Evergreen onions when buying seed. They are propagated by either seed or division and take 2 years for division. They are the type you see in grocery stores and you can plant and grow them successfully. The other type are the walking onions, commonly called Egyptian onions which actually form little bulbs on the top of the plant. Either will grow great where you are located. Why not grow both?

Ask a Question