Bunches of blooms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I have always read that there should be some distance between bulbs when planting but yet I see bunches of blooms that are like right next to each other. I didn't plant my daffodils like that but I'd like to. Is there a right way to get this kind of effect when planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The reason you plant them with space between them is that bulbs make new bulbs. If you don't leave enough space, they'll just be all clumped up and you'll have to dig them out and separate them more frequently. Gardening is all about time and patience. Your flowers will have clusters of blooms soon enough.

Reaction score
I have always read that there should be some distance between bulbs when planting but yet I see bunches of blooms that are like right next to each other. I didn't plant my daffodils like that but I'd like to. Is there a right way to get this kind of effect when planting?

The recommended spacing for daffodils is somewhere between 6 and 12 inches - with the greater distance meaning that you would be able to leave the bulbs undisturbed in the ground for longer than you would if they were planted closer together - however if you are wanting a cluster or a drift of daffodils - then the spacing would be reduced to 4 to 6 inches apart and although it doesn't do the bulbs any harm to be that close together or alter the size of bloom - they will need to be lifted and thinned out every 3 to 5 years.

Ask a Question