Bougainvillea - a riot of colour

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Bougainvillea are easy to grow and maintain. After the initial care they will stay forever yielding year after year. I do have other flowers but when it comes to colour Bougainvillea come through with flying colours - pun meant (lol) They remain dormant only during the rainy season. The collage below is of Bougainvillea that grow in our garden.
boougancollage.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..I love your bougainvillea and you have so many different colors. They are beautiful. My dad's house used to have one and they climbed over the yard to create a cover shade for us kids to play under.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thanks. When nothing else blooms these clusters do not let us down :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Bougainvillea sounds like an amazing plant!:D It comes in so many beautiful colors! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it can't be grown in my climate, winters are too harsh here:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Bougainvillea sounds like an amazing plant!:D It comes in so many beautiful colors! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it can't be grown in my climate, winters are too harsh here:(
At the end of the day it is the climate that rules us. We too cannot grow so many that thrive your part of the world :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, how lovely! Here in Texas bougainvillea is a pot plant. The container can spend the summer out, but has to be protected during the winter. I have seen them growing lushly in New Orleans and in Florida and was green with envy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh, how lovely! Here in Texas bougainvillea is a pot plant. The container can spend the summer out, but has to be protected during the winter. I have seen them growing lushly in New Orleans and in Florida and was green with envy!
They do well in pots too. They need a bit of trimming though to get the best results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I recently acquired a bougainvillea, but it didn't have any bracts so I'm not sure what the color is. I bought it to put in an area where it won't really be seen so it doesn't really matter, but it's kind of small so now I'm thinking of getting a larger one in a color I like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
In
I recently acquired a bougainvillea, but it didn't have any bracts so I'm not sure what the color is. I bought it to put in an area where it won't really be seen so it doesn't really matter, but it's kind of small so now I'm thinking of getting a larger one in a color I like.
Bougainvillea in our gardene have a pride of place as their colour adorns our garden. You must be having a reason to hide yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I love Bougainvillea's but they wouldn't survive outside here, they would have to be grown in a conservatory. This picture I took four years ago at the Eden Project in Cornwall, south-west England.

211.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I love Bougainvillea's but they wouldn't survive outside here, they would have to be grown in a conservatory. This picture I took four years ago at the Eden Project in Cornwall, south-west England.

View attachment 5448
Beautiful. That is exactly how they spread themselves, adding great colour to our garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In

Bougainvillea in our gardene have a pride of place as their colour adorns our garden. You must be having a reason to hide yours.

Mine was purchased for its thorns, not its colorful bracts. It's going in an area on the side of the house where it will provide security in an alley and block the potential entry of uninvited visitors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love Bougainvillea's but they wouldn't survive outside here, they would have to be grown in a conservatory.

They have to be cut back and protected in winter here, @Sheal. Perhaps there is a way you can provide some shelter for them there? Many people do keep them in pots.

Ask a Question