Bird menace

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Birds have proved to be an Achilles heel in my vegetable farming project. I tried growing kales sometime ago and everything was okay until they reached the broad leafed stage. Birds swooped on the kales and I had to get content with what remained since I don't have a reliable method of controlling them. Are there humane methods out there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you tried a scarecrow? Farmers have used these for years to keep bird populations at bay. I think something like alumnium pans that clang together when it is windy can be a deterrent, to not only birds but other critters that might have their eyes on your little feast. I am not sure what else could be done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There is bird netting--a black, fine netting that doesn't allow their beaks to get at your vegetables. The big drawback is that the netting has to be lifted each time YOU want to get at your vegetables. The aluminum pans or old shiny CDs are a better alternative.

Ask a Question