Biltmore Estate

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right place for this!

For those not familiar with The Biltmore, it is America's largest private estate (at over 178,000 square feet), but is open to the public. It was built in 1889, by George Vanderbilt, grandon of Cornelius Vanderbilt, in Ashville North Carolina.. The estate is known for it's spectacular gardens designed by the legendary Frederick Olmsted. Of course, when you're one of the richest men in the country......

Here are just a few examples.

The home itself
biltmore.jpg

biltmore 1.jpg

biltmore 3.jpg

biltmore 4.jpg

biltmore 6.jpg

biltmore 8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Though I've lived in NC for over 10 years, I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to The Biltmore. My parents have gone more than once and they don't even live here!

The winery there is fantastic. I'm not even a big wine drinker, but Biltmore wine is great. The main thing that gets me with that place is the cost to get inside. It is a tourist trap, for sure.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks great Galmal (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Extremely beautiful place,unbelievable,it has the original 13 colonies flags.just the gardens alone are worth admission price :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been several times over the decades, was born not to far away - further up in the mountains, near Burnsville. It is such a spectacular place in so many ways. The grounds are impeccable, the gardens just overflowing with beauty and scents, the home is huge - yet liveable, and they holds tons of functions there year-round. My only gripe is the cost of admission has gotten way out of hand for anyone in there real world. Same with the hotels and the eateries nearby....even the McDonalds is done in Biltmore Fashion, not their usual corporate place. It is well worth a visit, but bring your $$ as FLex tickets are almost $80 and day time tickets, bought in advance are over $50.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Although I haven't been there at the time, they say that Christmas is absolutely beautiful at the home. The gardens are pretty much over, but the inside is decorated to the max, with literally dozens of different Christmas trees, fires in the fireplaces, etc. I'd like to go some day and see for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been twice, a long time ago. One of the last pre-income tax estates. Leather wallpaper in the library. Good wine. And so many bathrooms. I imagine a live-in plumber was necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I visited Biltmore some decades ago. I wonder how it fares these days. One of the last grand constructions before the income tax was passed. State of the art 1900s. Leather wallpaper etc. Nice vineyard.

Ask a Question