Best things to plant right now - South Florida

ari

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm new here :)

I live down in South Florida and absolutely love to garden. Unfortunately, I have a small patio with limited space to plant things. I have a large elevated planter box, and many, MANY containers.

I've had a hard time growing veggies lately...I know the weather was just too hot, but the weather is finally cooling down, and I'd like to get some things to grow over the next few months. I've had luck with cucumbers and tomatoes - but that's about it. Does anyone have suggestions on things I could plant that will do well in this zone (10b)? The area I have gets about 6 hours of direct sunlight each day, the rest is very bright light.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I live down in South Florida and absolutely love to garden. Unfortunately, I have a small patio with limited space to plant things. I have a large elevated planter box, and many, MANY containers.

I've had a hard time growing veggies lately...I know the weather was just too hot, but the weather is finally cooling down, and I'd like to get some things to grow over the next few months. I've had luck with cucumbers and tomatoes - but that's about it. Does anyone have suggestions on things I could plant that will do well in this zone (10b)? The area I have gets about 6 hours of direct sunlight each day, the rest is very bright light.

Thanks!
In South Fla. with your limited direct light I think you will be limited at this time of year to such things as broccoli, cauliflower cabbage, swiss chard, lettuce and herbs. You might try some spinach but it might not get cool enough. I also think you will have better luck if you buy plants instead trying to grow from seed except for the lettuce and chard. One thing you can grow very well in a situation like yours are lemons and limes. The only drawback is that they need a large container and they aren't all that easy to move around. You might also try sweet peppers or bell peppers as they like cooler weather than the hot varieties. If you only had more direct sunlight you wouldn't be quite so limited but you will probably do OK. As for flowers I haven't a clue as I don't grow anything that I can't eat but others on this forum are very knowledgeable

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Hi Ari! You can always plant herbs, I plant different herbs during the entire year and they do just fine, during the winter I keep those inside tho. I'm sure you will have a lot of luck with herbs as well, just give it a try :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Two of my favorites to plant right now are cherries and strawberries. I have started a cherry tree from seed...don't know if it will actually make it but the seed did germinate and it will hopefully grow in the pot and with each growth spurt, I can continue to upgrade to a bigger pot. I have grown strawberries before by planting in a short barrel like container and although small, they were very sweet. The biggest chore is keeping the birds away. I had to net the strawberry fruit.

Ask a Question