Benefits of the aloe vera plant

Reaction score
The Aloe Vera plant has been called "The Miracle Plant." My next door neighbor gave me 3 rather large plants (she's in her 80's) about 3 weeks ago. She mentioned the medicinal uses of the plant and while I believed her (because I had heard a little about Aloe Vera before) I really didn't pay it much attention. I began to research the history of this miracle plant and have been absolutely amazed at what I've found.

The gel from the Aloe Vera plant can be used to treat insect bites, rashes, blisters, herpes, athlete's foot, fungus, sores, vaginal infections, conjunctivitis, dry skin, and much more.
Aloe Vera can be taken orally and that is exactly what I have been doing, every day, for the past week. The plants immune system stimulant properties are phenomenal for warding off all types of viruses.

I've been cutting the leaf and eating or drinking the gel directly from the plant. The taste is bitter but I take it fast, just to get it over with and wash it down with water, or I'll eat a spoonful of oatmeal, as I did this morning.

Is anyone else familiar with, and have tried taking Aloe Vera orally?

Reaction score
If you watched the video, he says to only eat the convex shaped leaves because the concave leaves are bitter. I have not come across a leaf, convex or concave that was not bitter. Also, whether it's bitter or not does not take away from the plants medicinal benefits. Bitter or not, ingesting internally is 100% healthy.

In the 5 days that I've been eating Aloe Vera, I have been very "regular." Like the guy in the video says, it's a great lubricant for the body.

Below is another video that I really like. The first guy is almost comical (and believable) in his ardent promotion of the medicinal purposes of Aloe Vera. With a heavy Jamaican accent, he says,

"Once you get used to drink' Aloe Vera, you get addicted to it" .. "Brothers and sisters .. don't be a fool!"

He's right about the addiction part, because it's been 5 days for me and I look forward to drinking/eating it every day. I can feel the difference.

Later in the video, the same guy talks about Americans, he says,

"From 1975 till now, America change, the kids who used to weigh 135 lbs, them weighing 230 lbs today.. something wrong, a lot of old people gonna live to bury dem' great grandkids, it's a god-darn shame.. we need to turn it around, the doctor not talking about it, the government not talking about it, the pastor not talking about it, nobody not talking about obesity in America."

There has been dialogue about obesity in America but the cures are not natural cures. Therefore, taking the prescribed drugs might help with being over-weight but will give you many more problems down the road; which is what pharmaceutical, manufactured drugs do - they make you SICK!

Reaction score
Aloe vera juice is great for local application on skin for sunburns. The skin heals quickly and well. I have taken aloe vera juice not directly from the leaves though I have them, but out of a bottle, it wasn't very bitter. I used to take this for some ulcers taht I had developed in my intestines. I took it for a fortnight and was totally relieved of all the symptoms.
I love to use the juice for my skin and hair. It make my hair silky soft and shiny.

Reaction score
I use it for burns, too. I don't drink it or anything. I do keep a couple large plants on hand, though, so that any time one of us gets burned....whether by the stove or the sun....then we have a remedy on hand already. We just snap off a leaf and smooth on the juice.

Jed

Reaction score
I use it for burns, too. I don't drink it or anything. I do keep a couple large plants on hand, though, so that any time one of us gets burned....whether by the stove or the sun....then we have a remedy on hand already. We just snap off a leaf and smooth on the juice.
It sure is a wonderful plant to have on hand for burns. I can only say to those who have never used it to try it for burns and you will be amazed how quickly the pain vanishes. You are only reminded you have a burn if you wash it off. It covers the burn with a clear plastic like appearance.

Reaction score
Everyone who has dogs or cats, a word of warning.
Though Aloe Vera has been used in human medicine, the plant is toxic to cats and dogs too, so you should be careful your pets won't chew on the leaves.
I do have a cat and that's why I'm not taking any risks, though Aloes are beautiful :)

Reaction score
It sure is a wonderful plant to have on hand for burns. I can only say to those who have never used it to try it for burns and you will be amazed how quickly the pain vanishes. You are only reminded you have a burn if you wash it off. It covers the burn with a clear plastic like appearance.

Very true! It's one of those things that not only gives instant relief....but more long term relief. And you don't have to worry about overdosing or using too much of it either because it's all natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can't imagine life without aloe vera. Right now I only have aloe gel from pharmacy but it's the best to have fresh leaves. I have extremely delicate skin and since I was 20, I suffered from acne. It was terrible, it was making me so unhappy, I didn't know what to do. Recently, I've replaced these awful, popular, full of chemicals cosmetics with aloe vera and finally I have smooth, healthy skin.

Reaction score
I can't imagine life without aloe vera. Right now I only have aloe gel from pharmacy but it's the best to have fresh leaves. I have extremely delicate skin and since I was 20, I suffered from acne. It was terrible, it was making me so unhappy, I didn't know what to do. Recently, I've replaced these awful, popular, full of chemicals cosmetics with aloe vera and finally I have smooth, healthy skin.

Really?

So how do you use it? Do you just spread it on your face? I would be concerned about it clogging the pores....or not cleaning anything out. Do you wash it back off afterward?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Really?

So how do you use it? Do you just spread it on your face? I would be concerned about it clogging the pores....or not cleaning anything out. Do you wash it back off afterward?

I use it as a moisturiser. I just apply it on my face, I don't wash it off. It has almost the same consistence as water, it's only a little bit thicker. I don't have any problems with clogged pores - I had though when I was using other cosmetics. Aloe gel works perfectly for me but I don't know if it will be as good for other people. It depends on a skin I guess. What type of skin do you have? Mine is oily:(

Reaction score
Mine tends to be on the "normal" side with T-zone issues. I guess I have what you would call "combination skin." I find that not using any products at all is the best way for me to avoid flare-ups, so I just sort of deal with some of my issues and don't aggravate them with more chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Then you are doing the right thing:) . I hate chemicals, they caused my acne from which I was suffering for too long:mad: . This is why I love aloe vera: it's all natural. For a few years I wasn't using any products too but then I felt that my skin needs hydration, so even though I was scared, I tried to use aloe gel - and I'm very happy with that decision. I think it might be good for you too. If it won't help, at least it shouldn't do any damage - of course if you aren't allergic to it, I know that some people are.
But I agree that sometimes it's better not to use anything.

Reaction score
What are some good skin care products that contain Aloe vera if you don't happen to own the plant itself?
I too hate all kinds of nasty chemicals so I would like to try this alternative too. :)

Reaction score
What are some good skin care products that contain Aloe vera if you don't happen to own the plant itself?
I too hate all kinds of nasty chemicals so I would like to try this alternative too. :)

You could just buy the gel at your store. You don't have to have your own plant. It works pretty much the same way and doesn't have a ton of extra crap in it usually.

If you're not sure where to look, check out near the sunscreens and whatnot. People use aloe for sunburns, so they keep it near the same sun care section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree - you can look for aloe gel at the store or in pharmacy. It's rather inexpensive - mine was much cheaper than regular moisturiser. Just be careful and read the ingredients list - some of these gels contain a lot of chemicals. Usually the shorter the list is, the better.

Ask a Question