Bell Pepper Plants Help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Recently, I started to notice these white and black little bugs on my bell pepper plants. Since I noticed them, the plant has stopped growing. Does anyone know what they are and how to treat them?
IMG_0881.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd guess aphids, do you see ants in your garden?
Natural ways to get rid of them are ladybugs (some garden centers sell bags of live ladybugs) or spray repeatedly with dish detergent and water.
There are also plenty of commercial chemical sprays for pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum and please know that everyone here is very willing to help when they can! You can help too by going into your profile and entering data such as location and zone so that everyone can better supply advice.

You're in that states so you have access to insecticides with spinosad. Chuck recommended this and he really knows what he's talking about. You will find that there is a spray available from Johnny's Seeds (and possibly others) that include this natural but effective ingredient.Hope I got this link right.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7206-monterey-garden-insect-spray-qt.aspx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Those black things are not aphids because aphids are white. They are eggs of a flying insect - can be a bug, moth or even dragon fly. But one thing is sure, those little black balls will hatch into worms and eat those green leaves. You can try our remedy - apply bubbles of dishwashing soap. That would kill the eggs and even repel the mother. But the side effect is the soap may also kill your plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually aphids can be a wide range of color depending on type and locale...white, green, red, brown, black. In Colorado I had green ones only but here I've seen the black-brown ones like the OP posted. (I dated a guy for several years who had a masters in horticulture and he taught me a lot about plants!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am in central Florida. I used dishwashing soap and baking soda to water it yesterday. I saw how much was in there; I cut the plant. I am hoping that helps.

Reaction score
That is very interesting. I haven't grown bell peppers in a couple of years and just do not remember ever seeing these bugs. I am sure you want to find out what they are. I really hope that someone else here can help you. I did not know that bugs can cause vegetables not to grow.

Ask a Question