Bagged Soil Product Recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I noticed Miracle-Gro Nature's Care Organic Gardening Soil and Compost (solid green bag). The intended use is in flower garden and flowering shrub beds. Are there other Miracle Grow Soils and Composts, or other retail available bagged soil products that are superior to the referenced product..

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed Miracle-Gro Nature's Care Organic Gardening Soil and Compost (solid green bag). The intended use is in flower garden and flowering shrub beds. Are there other Miracle Grow Soils and Composts, or other retail available bagged soil products that are superior to the referenced product..

Thanks
The very best organic products in Texas are the Medina products and the Lady Bug products. Both should be available in your area. Espoma is also very good as well as Black Cow and all are vastly superior to anything by Miracle-Gro

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Big Lou, can I ask about liquid fertilizers as well? I put in some new plants and want to know the best liquid fertilizer to use for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, I'm heading to Lowes today and will look for it. Is it something I mix in with water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I should add that my shopping is restricted to Lowes and Home Depot due to our location in South Dallas County.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't shop at Big Box Stores so I don't know if they will carry it but just about any real nursery does

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Molasses? Ok sounds good, I'd never heard of that before. I can try a local nursery over the weekend but it is a little further away. I checked and Lowes here only carries Miracle-Gro and Scotts. I guess I can start with one of those and keep searching for the Hasta-Gro. Should I add the molasses to the Miracle-Gro still?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Molasses? Ok sounds good, I'd never heard of that before. I can try a local nursery over the weekend but it is a little further away. I checked and Lowes here only carries Miracle-Gro and Scotts. I guess I can start with one of those and keep searching for the Hasta-Gro. Should I add the molasses to the Miracle-Gro still?
Miracle-Gro is a concoction of chemicals. It literally burns up the organic matter in your soil and leaves mineral salts behind. Scotts is even worse than MG. If you want to have a good garden you will feed the soil and not the plants. Molasses stimulates the growth of microbial life in the soil. Using molasses will be a waste of money when using products like MG that destroys that life

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had no idea, so Lowes doesn't really sell anything that would work for helping my flowers be healthy then I guess. Well darn, I guess I'll have to wait and head back to the nursery. Thanks for the info Chuck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had no idea, so Lowes doesn't really sell anything that would work for helping my flowers be healthy then I guess. Well darn, I guess I'll have to wait and head back to the nursery. Thanks for the info Chuck.
Go to the Organic Gardening forum on this site. There are quite a few threads by myself and others about fertilizers, soil, fertility etc. I think it will help you understand how and why plants grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Headed that way.. You mean you don't just drop them in the ground and water them?? :sick: I've got a lot of learnin' to do.

Ask a Question