As a child, were you ever interested in anything garden-related?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I can remember that when I was a child, somewhere between 8 and 9 years old, I was very interested in some small banana plants that were planted out in our backyard, and I used to like watering them regularly and watching them as they grew. I also liked and admired marigolds. I thought they were very beautiful and cute-looking little flowers. I can remember watering them too. I cannot remember if I ever planted anything, but I liked being out in the garden.

Did you ever plant anything as a child and cared for it and watch it grow? If so, what was the first plant you remember planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lived with my aunt as a child and I remembered growing the tiny hot peppers, and it was my job to watch over them, from watering them, to remove dead branches, to pick the red peppers. I grew up eating very spicy foods :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
When I was young my mother never wanted us to go to the garden, whenever she was planting or weeding. The excuse was, we could dirty ourselves up with soil. But that never made us stop playing with soil. She denied us a chance to plant anything in the garden. I remember to have planted my first tree when I was 12 years old. It was a eucalyptus seedling that my father had bought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I remember, I wasn't interested in gardening when I was a kid. All I cared about were books and dolls:) I had a miniature fern and a cacti, but they both died.
I fell in love with gardening when my boyfriend gave me my first miniature rose:love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A school project started me growing plants and flowers. I like to see the plants grow from very small little things to large healthy plants just because you gave the plant some love and care.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We were always encouraged by my parents to help with the gardening, but never forced. Obviously, I never wanted anything to do with it because I thought it was pointless and boring. I couldn't grasp the concept of spending that much time and effort on the garden, when we could just go to the grocery and buy it! After many years of buying non organic raw food, it finally clicked why my parents grew so much of their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was born and raised in an apartment in the city so a garden is alien to me. Although I used to take short vacations in the province during summer when there was no school, the gardens did not appeal to me except for the fruit trees where we picked guavas, star apple, mangoes and papaya. But when I married, my husband happened to be a backyard farmer so I am now enamored with gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I remember digging around in the garden as a child. I remember once, I would have only been 3 or 4, planting things in the backyard...I was so excited that I ran back inside and ran smack bang into the clothesline pole! I had to go to hospital because I'd cut myself so badly!

Not the best introduction to gardening -- but I still love it!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No, I wasn't interested at all. I never did anything related to gardening until about 6 or 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When I was about five, my daddy let me weed the onions. It's easy to tell onion leaves from weeds! After that, I just grew up gardening, and even received a rose bush for my 12th birthday.
I can't imagine not gardening, and really feel sorry for children so disconnected from nature that they think that dill pickles grow that way and aren't made. Eleven year old girls who lived near us when we were in town were surprised to eat a cucumber out of our garden and find it wasn't a pickle!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had my own patch in my parents garden from about 7. Not sure exactly what was first, but I remember growing radishes & beetroot, and buying grape hyacinth blubs for 1 penny each.

I had a 1920's book on stately homes gardens so made miniature versions of the pictures from the book :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did have an interest in gardening from a young age. I was probably 8 or 9 by the time I finally convinced my Nana we should start a small garden. Neither of us are naturally talented in those regards but it was a lot of fun planning it out & then actually seeing our efforts work out for the most part :).

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Growing up in a rural area, I was acquainted with gardening at an early age. I was particularly fascinated with mung beans. I remember my impatience with seedling emergence. I kept extricating seeds from holes to check on germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
my parents had a big garden. when we were young me and my 2 brothers worked in the garden. because we were forced to work in it, i grew up not liking gardening. once i hit my late 20's i realized how much i missed it. luckily my father was still able to pass some of his knowledge back to me. he used to tell me someday i would get back into it. now i appreciate all the work we did back then and am proud of it! im still learning!

Ask a Question