Are these indoor plants safe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like having plants in my room. Right now my collection consist of an Aloe Vera, Confederate Jasmine, Mango tree, and Rosemary. A week ago I'd usually have a table in front of my window and I' set the plant on there but It was using to much space so I had my help help me build this shelf so they reach maximum sunlight. Do they look like they could be receiving good sunlight? Sorry, it isn't as sunny as it usually is, California just got rained for the first time in probably 5 months. Usually it's 90-100° and super sunny. I don't know what the requirement of sun looks like. I'm assuming as long as my room isn't pitch black it would be getting a fair amount of light. How do you think a plant would do on the bottom shelves? I was planning on starting my own herb farm but I don't have enough space on the tap, will they do okay down on the bottom? I was think about getting a few grow lights and placing them on the sides of the shelf. Also how do I prepare my plants for winter? Does it just happen naturally?

Attachments

• IMG_20160920_170908.jpg
    IMG_20160920_170908.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Difficult to tell from the photo, but it certainly looks bright so I would have thought they would be getting sufficient sun. Which direction does the window face?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Aloe Vera and mango tree? I'm quite surprised that you have mango tree for an indoor plant. But anyway, any plant would be welcome as indoor decoration as long as you give it enough sunlight. Not all plants can be placed indoor if only for the required sunlight. I'm just wondering what you would do when the mango grows big. The herbs are okay because I know some people who have herbs right inside their kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Aloe Vera and mango tree? I'm quite surprised that you have mango tree for an indoor plant. But anyway, any plant would be welcome as indoor decoration as long as you give it enough sunlight. Not all plants can be placed indoor if only for the required sunlight. I'm just wondering what you would do when the mango grows big. The herbs are okay because I know some people who have herbs right inside their kitchen.
I think the mango tree just looks nice and I'd love to keep it indoors as long as possible. If it gets too big and can't stay indoors I might try moving it outside in my backyard where it could get much more sun but I haven't figured that out yet. I might just wait until summer because I don't know how safe the soil is and I'll have more time to set up a nice area for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Difficult to tell from the photo, but it certainly looks bright so I would have thought they would be getting sufficient sun. Which direction does the window face?
The Window faces north I think, the sun definitely points directly at it for a good amount of hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The Window faces north I think, the sun definitely points directly at it for a good amount of hours.

Can't be north then ;) But useful to know that you get direct sunlight there. All the plants you listed are sun lovers, so the more the better and it sounds like they should be happy on that shelf.

In terms of putting plants on the other shelves, they will be in full shade all day so you would need grow lights.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could always get a full-length mirror and set it lengthwise in front of it to reflect the light during daylight hours. Then move it out of the way when the sun begins to wane. I might find some way to lift it up a bit, maybe set it on kitchen chairs or something. Or set it at an angle to reflect upwards at the plants.

The hutch I keep my knick-knacks in has a mirrored back that reflects light onto a plant on a desk. It seems to help, especially in the winter months. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think the mango tree just looks nice and I'd love to keep it indoors as long as possible. If it gets too big and can't stay indoors I might try moving it outside in my backyard where it could get much more sun but I haven't figured that out yet. I might just wait until summer because I don't know how safe the soil is and I'll have more time to set up a nice area for it.

I told my husband about your mango and he said that there are mango trees which are converted into bonsai. It's just about the proper pruning so the mango will continue "growing" but not really in size. And when the small tree reaches the right age for bearing fruit, it will bear fruits that are regular in size. However, don't expect the tree to bear lots of fruits, one or 2 would be enough for the small branches. Good luck to the pruning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I told my husband about your mango and he said that there are mango trees which are converted into bonsai. It's just about the proper pruning so the mango will continue "growing" but not really in size. And when the small tree reaches the right age for bearing fruit, it will bear fruits that are regular in size. However, don't expect the tree to bear lots of fruits, one or 2 would be enough for the small branches. Good luck to the pruning.
Thank you very much. I need to research allot more on how to trim or prune trees, I am still relatively new to gardening, I don't know why the first thing I decided to grow was a mango tree haha.

Ask a Question