Are any vegetables perinnials?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Asparagus, artichokes, and I think some leafy greens in the right climate. Some wild edible greens, such as nettles and sorrel, come to mind.

If ramps (wild leeks) count as a vegetable, they're perennials here in northern Michigan and some other northeastern states.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Runner Beans if you keep the frost off them.

Sea Kale. Scorzonera. Globe Artichokes.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can add rhubarb.

After that, you'd have to expand what you consider edible. ;) You'd probably want to do the research to find out what parts. of the plant are edible, and how to prepare them.

Young dandelion leaves in salads, for example. Cooked or raw, every part of the dandelion is edible.

Almost every part of a cattail is edible.

Purslane is said to contain more omega-3 fatty acids than any other leafy vegetable and have a peppery taste.

Plantain is edible. Chicory is edible. Wild carrot, (or Queen Anne's lace,) is edible.

According to a website I found, hostas are edible. :cautious:

I've read that if you harvest all but one sweet potato, they'll grow again from that one the next year. I'm going to consider that perennial, because if you eat the roots of any plant, it probably won't come back the next year!! :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question