JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Happy Arbor Day! Today is a great reminder to plant trees. We've taken so many away, so this is a great chance to give back. Sometimes garden centers will have deals going for Arbor Day, so it's a great time to pick some out. I personally added two native dwarf White Cedar trees just a few days ago! If you have native trees in your yard, please share a photo of them, and consider adding more this year!
IMG_7150 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
JB, we have Mexican Buckeye, Wafer Ash, Hackberry (native but a relatively undesirable tree), and Ashe Juniper that are native to Texas. We also have planted fruit trees and I have six Red Oaks in pots, waiting to be planted out next year when they are big enough to survive on their own.
Here is a Mountain Laurel, native to the Texas hill country, but likes it here on our blackland prairie soil:
Mountain Laurel.jpg

It's debatable whether the Mountain Laurel is a tree or shrub. Ours is definitely taking on a shrub shape!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Right now I can't plant any new trees - just a space issue - but I remember back in school on Arbor Day we would have initiatives where we would plant trees in the local area as a class - it was nice being able to give back to the community and do something worthwhile like that!

Ask a Question