Aquarium water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Aquarium water is a good fertilizer for plants. That's what I learned from my husband's cousin. They have a big aquarium and they change the water every 2 weeks. The fishes are placed in buckets and basins so they can clean the aquarium. And the water is used as irrigation for their plants. They said that the plants liked the aquarium water so much because they are always heavy with flowers.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is so true, I do not have an aquarium but I do purchase fish emulsion toe feed to my plants. If I have an aquarium I would use the water from the tank to feed my plants which makes them so more healthy and beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe it! Just thinking in term of the fish food, and their waste in the water watching my sister changes her little aquariums, I can tell how rich the water was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Yep, that's true. My father used to have an aquarium. My mom used the waste water for her roses and bouganvilleas and the flowers were spectacular.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I would be wary of using anything that comes from pets (even fish) for edible plants, but for everything else it most certainly works well.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Aquarium water is very nutritious since fish are fed on organic materials laden with nitrogen and other minerals like fish excreta. Most farmers use manure bags floating in fish ponds and this is very healthy when applied to vegetables. The best manure for aquarium water for this purpose is chicken manure which is very rich and chicken coops can be constructed directly above the fish pond in integrated farming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never knew this!!! Here I have been throwing my water down the sink this whole time!!! Thank you for the advice!! Hopefully this brings healthy, new life to my vegetable garden!!!! I cannot wait to try this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
no surprise there. of course they would like the water. If I had one I would certainly 2nd use the water for my plants. My neighbor's husband rigged up a pump next to their creek, there is a hose in it, and it sucks up the creek water full of good stuff of which she waters her gardens with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 125gallon set up with 8 healthy fish and about a dozen small live plants. I have noticed that instead of doing large biweekly water changes that can complelty deplete the tank of healthy nutrients I just take a liter or so of water out every other day and water select plants. If I was to take out 25 to 50% of water I would end up with like 50ish gallons of water and that would be waaaaaay to much water all at once for plants. I have some larger drift wood that helps naturally lower the PH of the tank and give it a darker hue.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I did not know that aquarium water was good for plants. I was not aware about this fact perhaps because I never have had an aquarium. However, I can presume why aquarium water is fertile for plants. Aquarium water contain food particles as well as dirt which works as fertilizer.

Ask a Question