Anyone into soiless gardening?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Soiless gardening and hydroponics are being adopted widely adopted in my country especially by urban farmers. It is fertilizer reliant and confers major advantages like economy of space and prevention of plant diseases especially those which are soil borne. Plants also grow faster and get healthier. Anyone into

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I don't think I would adopt this measure, I like gardening the traditional way. I think I'm old fashioned but I think I could try something different in the future if it's not too much trouble. I just think it would take a lot of time to get used to it and not to mention the investment that it needs it would be too great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I still have to experience the so called soil-less gardening. But I remember when I was young, my father had experimented on making bean sprouts. We used a sheet of cotton which we laid on the small box and placed the beans there. With a little moist and kept under the table (to cool it), the beans sprouted overnight. But I have no idea if that would work on, say, lettuce or onions, maybe not. It is also interesting to me that hydroponics thing but it looks complicated to me so I guess I have to learn from someone on how to use it.

Reaction score
I am not into hydroponics but I've joined field trips to hydrophonic farms and I was surprised at the variety of plants that can be grown using this system. In my country, the most commonly grown plant using this system is lettuce. Hydrophonics is a good option for people who are living in cities with smaller spaces and little or no land area to cultivate a garden. I still prefer soil gardening, though, because it is more natural and I don't have to add chemicals to grow and maintain the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been growing some of my vegetables in straw bales for five years...no soil, the composted straw is the growing medium. No investment except for $5 per bale and some extr fertilizer.

bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-condition-and-plant-a-straw-bale/

No digging or soil prep, weeding is a breeze. I have a small colony of feral cats here and started growing this way to prevent the cats using my veg garden as a litter box.

Ask a Question