Any vegetables i can grow inside? container-gardening

Reaction score
Since I live up north, I only get a short gardening season. I'm wondering what vegetables it would be easiest to grow inside in containers. I have a room downstairs in the basement that's got great light and it has a concrete floor, so I'm not worried about ruining the carpet or something. What could I easily grow down their year long?

Reaction score
It's not a vegetable but I grown small lemon and key lime trees. I put them out in the summer and bring them inside for the winter. They do flower and fruit inside just as well outside. I have also grown many of herbs inside they are pretty easy to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are a lot of vegetables that can be grown inside. You may want to have a look at the threads on container gardening and indoor growing. I'm pretty sure there are some useful links to this kind of information in some of the recent discussions. There's even a thread for useful links.

Reaction score
Tomatoes come to mind the moment you say container.. all herbs and almost all vegetables can be grown in containers. I have just got myself small lemon and orange plants that are now in containers. I hope they will soon produce fruits... well they already have some. :)
Yup, Chanell is right.. there are so many threads here about container gardening.. here is a link to the list of useful links https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/useful-gardening-tips.264/#post-3299

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
on the pond forum some have built indoor ponds to over winter pond plants and bet it would be easy to build indoor cold frames the same way and grow veggies like you do outdoors .Build a frame out of wood and line it with heavy duty plastic and plant it .Just like a window box with no bottom

Reaction score
A few plant that will work for you off the top of my head:
1. Strawberries
2. Micro tomatoes
3. Peppers ex. Jalapenos and Bell Peppers

Reaction score
Don't the tomatoes need a lot of sun and does the lack of fresh air affect the growing process?

Reaction score
The do need a lot of light. It's best if you have a light above them because they will grow towards the light so the stems will not be straight causing more stress on it when it is full of tomatoes.

Reaction score
Since I live up north, I only get a short gardening season. I'm wondering what vegetables it would be easiest to grow inside in containers. I have a room downstairs in the basement that's got great light and it has a concrete floor, so I'm not worried about ruining the carpet or something. What could I easily grow down their year long?
Have you considered using Hydroponics during the winter season if it's too cold to grow outdoors?

Reaction score
I grew tomato, cucumber and lettuce from pots last year, inside. I have to say I had a very beautiful pot garden and porch garden. There are tons and tons of veggies you can start inside and keep them inside. I'm going to look into doing something this year but not sure what yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you do decide to try growing vegetables indoors, be sure to choose varieties that are recommended for container growing. I have seen articles for indoor growing of everything from citrus foods to beets, but our forum experts have always stressed the need for grow lights.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Years ago I grew a Large Red Cherry tomato in a pot about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. I hung it on a chain and I bolts in front of my living room big picture window. By the time spring came around the thing had covered so much of the window that you couldn't see out at all. It was at least 14 feet long with many side shoots and literally 100's of tomatos. My wife loved the fruit but hated not being able to see outside, so that is my experience with growing vegetables indoors. The only pests I had was our housecat and a squirt of water usually solved the problem...... at least for awhile.

Ask a Question