Ants in the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:( Overnight ants have invaded our tomato beds. We have our tomatoes in a raised beds and today all around the wood of the bed are little ant hills of little black ants. Looking for suggestions on how to get rid of them without driving them undergrowth and back up in the actual tomato beds. Any advice or suggestions appreciated Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:( Overnight ants have invaded our tomato beds. We have our tomatoes in a raised beds and today all around the wood of the bed are little ant hills of little black ants. Looking for suggestions on how to get rid of them without driving them undergrowth and back up in the actual tomato beds. Any advice or suggestions appreciated Thanks
There are numerous ways to get rid of them but most are chemicals and I don't like to use chemicals. These include baits as well as powders and liquids which you can buy just about anywhere. When I have ants in my vegetable garden I use a liquid soil drench made from a spinosad base. You can get spinosad at any real nursery and even some big box stores. It is completely harmless to humans and pets but is death to all kinds of insects. Mix 2 oz per gallon of water and drench the mounds. They will all be dead in 3 days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick response!! I don't like to use chemicals either they make me nervous with our animals & us eating them for that matter. We will find out where we can buy some. I had to order the neem oil from Amazon but it was here in 2 days so if all else fails I am sure I can get it on line. As with the neem oil I can already think of other places in the yard that will benefit from it. Thank you ☺

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have also heard that peppermint/spearmint oil do the trick to! My sister mixed some oil with water for me and sprayed in the dog's area where there seemed to have ants. So far, so good! I also sprayed it on my pincushion flowers since the squirrel loves to eat them. Again, the squirrels haven't return :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started getting ants in the house, I'm not sure where they are coming in from and I don't want to use nasty chemicals. My partner says that washing up liquid repels them, is that true? I don't even know where to put it and I don't want to start squirting washing up liquid all over the place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There are numerous ways to get rid of them but most are chemicals and I don't like to use chemicals. These include baits as well as powders and liquids which you can buy just about anywhere. When I have ants in my vegetable garden I use a liquid soil drench made from a spinosad base. You can get spinosad at any real nursery and even some big box stores. It is completely harmless to humans and pets but is death to all kinds of insects. Mix 2 oz per gallon of water and drench the mounds. They will all be dead in 3 days

Chuck, My husband was wondering if you could share the name of the product you use. We have nothing local and although we have looked on line it is difficult to choose which to buy not knowing the make up of ingredients we need. With the neem we just got 100% cold pressed. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My husband was wondering if you could share the name of the product you use. We have nothing local and although we have looked on line it is difficult to choose which to buy not knowing the make up of ingredients we need. With the neem we just got 100% cold pressed. Thanks for your help.
All of the brand names have the same ingredients. I happen to use Green Light but another common brand is Monterrey. All you have to look for is the active ingredient, spinosad. BTW, an organic grower needs only 3 things to take care of anything he might encounter by the way of insects/caterpillars in the garden. Neem, spinosad and Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). All are safe up the hour of harvest although they all taste terrible when sampled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
All of the brand names have the same ingredients. I happen to use Green Light but another common brand is Monterrey. All you have to look for is the active ingredient, spinosad. BTW, an organic grower needs only 3 things to take care of anything he might encounter by the way of insects/caterpillars in the garden. Neem, spinosad and Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). All are safe up the hour of harvest although they all taste terrible when sampled.

Thanks just ordered both the spinosad and bt on line

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I wasn't exactly shire how to do it so I came back here .... A big thank. you Chuck! My Rose of Sharon is beautiful & covered with buds (neem) and the ants are gone (spinosad) love this site and appreciate everyone's help

Ask a Question