Animal Carcass Bokashi ... what to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi again! Long time no read!
I've been practicing regular bokashi with kitchen scraps and love the results. So here's my story for now:

Our dogs are excellent hunters. There is no animal damage to our garden because they catch the rabbits, groundhogs, and moles. This leaves us with a healthy uneaten garden.

It also left me with a lot of carcasses. So since I had an extra barrel left over, I started putting the carcasses in there and sealing with a lid. I haven't added any carcasses in about a year.

So my question is this: Would it be safe to turn this in to the garden soil this fall when I close it out? It is typical bokshi (for us): lots of liquid, some bones. Also some fur.

If I turn it in this fall it'll have all winter to stabilize. Will also plant a cover crop of inedible clover and EDIBLE spinach. Spinach survives the winter here.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Smells earthy and neutral now. Used to smell like heck itself.
I bet it stunk. I do bokashi for all my table scraps and it can smell at times.

I would imagine that your carcasses would be fine to put in the yard so long as they are not festering and gross.

Ask a Question