Amaryllis root growing out bottom of pot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm an amateur at keeping indoor houseplants, so I have a question. I got an amaryllis two Christmases ago, and followed the instructions after the flower died to force it into dormancy. I brought it out of dormancy this November and the leaves have really been taking off. Today I noticed that the amaryllis has one long thick (tap?) root coming out the bottom of the pot. I've read that amaryllises like to be rootbound, but I'm not sure this applies. I couldn't find the answer online as to what to do, so I repotted it in a pot that was the same width before (since the bulb wasn't outgrowing the last one) but deeper, and tripped off the dead tip of that root. Was this okay?

Some extra information: I keep the soil constantly moist (but not soggy). The leaves are green, although more white-tinted at the base, and firm (I've snapped off two by accident). No stalk yet, but I'm not worried.

Ask a Question