Aloe Vera plant that doesn't produce Aloe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, so on my lawn we have this Aloe Vera Plant, it has a pale greenish color but also the slightest amount of red pigments, and that one produces Aloe Vera, you know the stuff you use on burns, but next to that we have a giant hoard of plants that seem to have been spreading, they look like Aloe Vera BUT its leaves are thinner and dont produce produce Aloe, also its greener. Any Idea what its called or is it just another species of Aloe Vera. I took this from the group of them outside because they were budding off very quickly, unlike the actual Aloe, which there were only 2 of, there were probably like 10 of the non Aloe producing plants.
here is a picture and thank you :)

Attachments

• Photo on 8-24-16 at 7.06 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-24-16 at 7.06 PM #2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 349
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I agree Agave americana, in the Agave Family (Agavaceae, or alternatively, the Agavoideae Subfamily of Asparagaceae).
Agave americana is originally native to central Mexico, but is now one of the most widely planted and naturalized species worldwide.

The fibrous leaves of Agave do not produce a soothing gel like Aloe vera, in fact, Agave sap is a chemical irritant that can cause a rash.

Ask a Question