Aloe Vera Plant Looks Terrible

Reaction score
I am not sure what is wrong with my Aloe Vera plant but it looks terrible. The bottom stems are turning a yellowish brown color and it looks as if it is dying. I thought that I might have neglected it too much and not given it enough water (I rarely give it any water at all) so I gave it just a sip because I did not want to drown it and it still has not perked up.

I have not seen any bugs on the plant and it is on my porch. It receives direct full on sunlight at least 4 hours per day.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Can you post a photo of it? That would give us a better idea of what the problem is with it. Are the good leaves plump or limp? Are the brown leaves dry or are they mushy? What type of pot do you have it in? Plastic or terra cotta?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Usually the only thing that will kill an Aloe is not enough sun or to much water. Did you recently move it to a less sunny location?

Reaction score
As a users stated above, there aren't many things that can kill an aloe vera plant... the only things I've seen that are good killing aloe vera plants are: too much cold, too much sun, too little sunlight and too much water.

Reaction score
@firelily99 I will try to post a picture of it. It is in a plastic pot.

@evelynmcgregor It was inside for the winter I don't think it got enough sun. I just moved it outside.

@Trellum thanks I am going to post a pic later. I did move it outside so I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my aloe plants! As soon as moved them outside, they started turning brown and looking unhealthy! It has been a few weeks now though and they have perked up, I think they went into shock or something.

Reaction score
@davbonpol I hope that the shock is what is wrong with my plant and that it recovers.

I have not been able to take a picture as of yet because one of the twins is sick right now. When things settle down I will get a snap of it and share.

Reaction score
You have twins! You are busy, hope they feel better soon. I can just about bet you your plants will perk up soon, just keep giving them water as usual.:geek:

Reaction score
When my Aloe looked like that I took it out of the sun and gave it a bit of water. I live in FL and it's usually hot in the sun. It seems to be doing really well in indirect light. Aloe can be really finicky. Good Luck!

Reaction score
I keep mine on the kitchen window sill in a North window. In the northern hemisphere that means no direct sunlight and it does well. It only get's sick if I accidentally water it too much. When you moved it to the outside did you acclimate it from the house or did you just sit it in the sun? It could take a week or more to get a plant used to direct sunlight.

Reaction score
How do you guys keep your aloe plants in a pot? My aloe plant reproduces like crazy and it has outgrown several pots. I can't plant it in the ground because I live in an apartment. Do you just remove the small baby aloe plants when they appear? It seems like my plant will just keep getting bigger and heavier if I don't do something to keep it in check.

Reaction score
How do you guys keep your aloe plants in a pot? My aloe plant reproduces like crazy and it has outgrown several pots. I can't plant it in the ground because I live in an apartment. Do you just remove the small baby aloe plants when they appear? It seems like my plant will just keep getting bigger and heavier if I don't do something to keep it in check.

I wish I had that problem. They can get big and beautiful so why do you want to keep it in check? Can you move it to a bigger pot?

Ask a Question