Aloe plant

Reaction score
I would love to add a beautiful aloe plant to my windowsill. I am not sure about them, how to take care of them or how much sunlight? Also about how long does it take for it to be fully grown?

Reaction score
There are several types of aloe plants. Most can handle a fair bit of sun - if my plant is any indication. They can handle dry soil, but not super wet soil for prolonged periods. As far as size goes, some are small, some get quite large, some cascade a bit (like mine) and some are upright plants. When picking up the plant, you should check with the nursery about the size. I am sure that you will be able to find one that suits your location.

Reaction score
Most aloe plants are very easy to take care of, so I'd not worry about it. I have several ones, they are all different types of aloe plants, but a common factor among them is the fact they seem to thrive and do much better when you don't pay a lot attention to them. They need very little water and do well with some direct sunlight. I only water mine when the soil looks super dry or whenever I remember, lol.

Reaction score
My aloe plant is huge and I can't even lift it, so if you're trying to get one for your windowsill be sure to ask the seller how big the plant you are considering will grow to be.
The last time my aloe plant could fit on a windowsill is when it was a baby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion ale plant is very easy to grow. Just don't put it in direct sunlight and everything will be fine. It's enough to water it once a week, so it's a perfect houseplant for busy people:)

Reaction score
There are hundreds of different varieties Aloe - all of which can be grown inside - but all grow best when planted outside in their natural environment and rarely flower when grown inside.

Although Aloes will tolerate some light shade - in order to thrive - they need at least six hours of direct sunlight a day and are therefore best placed on a south or west facing windowsill - unless of course you live in an area that experiences long hours of intense sunlight - then it is best to place them near a window rather than on the windowsill.

They are extremely easy care drought tolerant plants that thrive on neglect and in fact can go many months without water and still survive. How much water they require will very much depend on the temperature but even in extremely hot temperatures of 45C or more - they are not likely to need watering more than once or twice a month during the growing season - always allowing the top few inches of soil to dry out between watering.

Indoor Aloes tend to grow at a slower pace than those grown outdoors and as to how long they take to grow - will depend on the variety - as well as whether or not they are given the right growing conditions :)

Reaction score
Yup, I agree. Aloes seem to grow like crazy with very little attention. We have always had them both in Southern California and also Hawaii. When we lived in Hawaii, a little neighbor girl saw our aloe and said to me "Oh, you have a medicine plant". It was really cute. And yes, I cut a piece off and split it open with a knife, to rub on sunburn and cuts. It is amazing how fast they heal compared to anything else I have ever used.

Reaction score
Someone gave me a small aloe plant they bought at a church fair. It was in a very small plastic pot and once I transplanted it, it started to grow like a weed. Today, it is huge and is now growing down the sides of the large pot I eventually transplanted it in to a few months ago.

Ask a Question