All vegetables should be purple.

Reaction score
Watching my zucchini carefully, seeing many 'fingerlings' but nothing big enough to pick, I gave up and bought some at the farmers market.

2 days later I found a few HUGE zucchini that were well hidden in the leaves. If only they had been purple I would have found them sooner.

Beans are also much easier to pick when they are purple, but then again, they don't taste as good as the Kentucky wonder, so I should be more specific.

All vegetables should be purple, yet have the same flavor as their green counterparts.

Reaction score
It would be nice if vegetable were a more visible color! What did you use them for? I like to steam oversize zuchinni until they are about half way done and then stuff them with a meatloaf mixture, pour some canned spagetti sauce or thined down cream of mushroom soup over them and bake them until done. Yum.

Reaction score
Purple is my favorite color, but I chose purple because it stand out very well against green foliage. When I grew purple beans they were a snap to pick.

I almost always just use zucchini for zucchini bread or as a vegetable with a red sauce, Evelyn. If I can keep myself from turning it all into bread I might give your recipe a try!

My goal is to have enough bread frozen to last the winter. I love the stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, this is a really great idea! Purple is one of my favorite colors. I think it would be nice to grow purple green peas, salads and carrots:D
I'd also like to have purple herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like a more colorful variety instead of just purple. I want orange, red, blue, and purple veggies. That would make for a gorgous salad for sure. I still think lettuce needs to be green so that there is a nice bed for the rest of the veggies to lay in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We grew "Rainbow carrots" for the first time this year--red, yellow, orange, and white carrots. Children who turn their noses up at vegetables love these carrots! We also have yellow pear tomatoes--a cherry type, but pear shaped. They are sweet and prolific (and also dry well). Sungold tomatoes go from light yellow to a lovely deep gold, and have a real tomato taste. Coosa squash is a very light green and easy to find even under large leaves.
We've never tried differently colored beans. I actually enjoy the treasure hunt to find the beans!

Reaction score
I personally prefer to grow colored vegetables - as they contain lot more nutrients than the regular varieties and although I too have a leaning towards the color purple - I tend to grow Rainbow Vegetables rather than just purple ones - as apart from them adding an exciting splash of color to my vegetable garden - they're versatile in the fact that they can make even the blandest of meals look enticing and of course they all taste extremely delicious too.

So as I'm already growing - Rainbow Chard, Beetroot, Carrots, Tomatoes, Peppers and Radishes - all of which have the color purple in them - as well as purple striped eggplants and purple artichokes - I'm never short of purple vegetables to go with my yellow, green and white Zucchini and hopefully next year I will complete my full collection of colored vegetables - when I add in some Rainbow Cauliflowers and Purple Potatoes too :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great thought, purple is also my favorite color. A contrasting color to the leaves would make it much easier for your to find your vegetables that are ready to be picked, the color does not have to be purple although purple is a great color.

Ask a Question