8 February 2016 Morning Meal Breakfast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2016/February 2016/8 February 2016 Morning Meal/HTML/ 8 February 2016 Morning Meal Breakfast.
Soy, gruel,peas, corn, molasses, skim milk. Heated about four minutes in microwave. Breaking the bacon, egg and toast habit.

dsc_85727%20february%202016%20morning%20meal_std.jpg

Reaction score
Very healthy. I'm also trying to break the egg and bacon habit :( It's kind of sad because I started with that habit quite recently, but it's indeed becoming an habit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This is the gruel. The ingredients vary slightly depending upon what is available.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GDRCE 22 January 2015 Gruel or Porridge.
Seven ingredient were made into gruel or porridge.This will be about a two week supply for breakfast cereal.The ingredients are nixtamalized Indian corn, oats, wheat, almonds, walnuts,sorghum, and sunflower seeds. All seeds were made into a slurry with water in the blender, then added to the cooking pot. The cooking pot was designed to prevent bubbling over. The ingredients were pressure cooked at 15 PSI for one hour to insure adequate cooking.The cooled gruel was placed in containers and frozen until required.Pictures delineate the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
This breakfast looks quite interesting and is a good change from the normal everyday breakfast that most of us go for. I am also in the habit of having toast and eggs along with maybe some sausage or ham and at times some fried plantain. Porridge would also be part of the package. Well, I would agree that these foods give a lot of protein which tends to keep me satisfied for a great part of the morning. However, the breakfast you have shown and described here seems like a healthy choice and would also be filling. It may take a longer time to prepare though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Usually 6 days a week kibble and a piece of toast, sometimes a full breakfast on Sundays. Kibble favorites include, Capt n' Crunch, Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes,,, Sometimes I'll go straight with Crispix, Cherrios, GrapeNuts.. For vacation maybe Lucky Charms.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I prepare my foods in advance and keep in the freezer or refrigerator. Prep time in the morning is only a few minutes. One of my motives is to keep way from the packaged food isle in supermarkets. Back to basics if you like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Usually 6 days a week kibble and a piece of toast, sometimes a full breakfast on Sundays. Kibble favorites include, Capt n' Crunch, Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes,,, Sometimes I'll go straight with Crispix, Cherrios, GrapeNuts.. For vacation maybe Lucky Charms.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually have a trail mix granola bar for breakfast. I only eat bacon/sausage, egg and toast in the weekend once a month. Pancake, nope! French toast, nope! My children eat them, but not me :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I usually have a trail mix granola bar for breakfast. I only eat bacon/sausage, egg and toast in the weekend once a month. Pancake, nope! French toast, nope! My children eat them, but not me :)

That was my typical breakfast for years. Then one day I reflected on it and decided there has to be possibly better. My two staples are soy beans and the gruel. Soy beans I have eaten for around 40 years. They are surrounded with some controversy. I do eat the typical breakfast if eating out, which is most rare. Another thing, I almost completely removed sugar form my diet. I don't have sugar in the house. I might say I eat to live not live to eat. Convincing children and growing kids to change diet can be an issue in today's environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Durgan I truly enjoy your open mindedness regarding food prep, storage etc. Your breakfast sounds lovely. I am not a traditional breakfast eater. Sometimes I might just heat up left overs from the night before and move on to work. I love cold baked salmon on dark toast. usually make a good amount of 10 minute steel cut oats over the weekend to have enough to re-heat through the week. My eggs are from the Amish. It is rare we make bacon. Husband likes ham, so its saute in olive oil. we do use healthy cold cereal on occasion. Or just a bowl of fruit and yogurt. Have fun exploring .

Ask a Question