4th cucumber seedling loss to damping off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
First time gardener here. I lost my 4th cucumber seedling this morning to damping off. I have researched and learned a few things and will be making the proper adjustments for their care. My question is now, if damping off is affecting seedlings in some cells, how likely is it the others will be affected? We have a self watering starter tray.

I should add, I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on the cucumber seedlings this am (so far only has affected them). Also, plan to water with 3% hydrogen peroxide solution at next watering (2Tbs to a quart of water). We now have a fan going, too.

Attachments

• 14624583631381702226637.jpg
    14624583631381702226637.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Damping off is caused by a soil born fungus. Cinnamon is an OK preventative and I have used it on occasion but it is not the best, whole ground cornmeal is. Horticultural cornmeal is know by different names. Whole ground, stone ground, agricultural and horticultural. The cornmeal one usually finds in the grocery store is not the same thing. It says on the package it is "enriched". By enriched they mean that the outer layer of the kernel has been removed and this "enriched" corn will not work for this application. Horticultural cornmeal in itself does nothing about or to the damping off fungus. What it does is provide the perfect and preferred growing medium for another fungus. This fungus is called Tricoderma. Tricoderma is a beneficial fungi that literally kills harmful fungi.

I grow hundreds of seedlings each year and at one time I lost a sizeable percentage of them each year to damping off. After learning about and using horticultural cornmeal I haven't lost a seedling to damping off in years. What I do is incorporate about 15% cornmeal into my seed starting medium. As soon as the seedling emerges I lightly cover the surface of the soil with additional cornmeal.

Many rose growers use the cornmeal against black spot by making a tea and spraying it on the foliage. Others, myself included spread it around under my squash to prevent powdery mildew. I also spread it under and dust my tomatoes with it to prevent or slow down early blight.

Most nursery's will have or can get horticultural cornmeal but I get mine at a cattle feed store. I just bought another 50lb bag and it cost $12.

As to your question if it will affect your other plants it probably will as the fungal spores are transferred by wind movement and by spashing water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have some Bob's Red Mill stone ground cornmeal and it does not say "enriched" anywhere on the package. At this point, what do you suggest I do? Sprinkle the cornmeal on surface of all cells or mix cornmeal with new gardening/potting soil and replant in their own individual small pots? We are in Michigan and we are not planning on planting in large pots outdoors for a few more weeks. Appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some Bob's Red Mill stone ground cornmeal and it does not say "enriched" anywhere on the package. At this point, what do you suggest I do? Sprinkle the cornmeal on surface of all cells or mix cornmeal with new gardening/potting soil and replant in their own individual small pots? We are in Michigan and we are not planning on planting in large pots outdoors for a few more weeks. Appreciate the help!
I would do exactly what you just said. If any seedlings show signs throw them and the soil away. Once they show symptoms they are as good as dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, so you recommend repotting the seedlings with the cornmeal mix verses just sprinkling cornmeal on the cells with way they are planted now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, so you recommend repotting the seedlings with the cornmeal mix verses just sprinkling cornmeal on the cells with way they are planted now?
No. Do not repot until all danger of damping off has passed which is normally when the plant has its 3rd set of true leaves. Just sprinkle it now on the unaffected seedlings. You mix the cornmeal into the seed starting medium when you are planting seeds. Do not be surprised if other seedlings that look unaffected come down with damping off even after you sprinkle the cornmeal on them. They may already be affected but just aren't showing signs yet. To be safe start some more seeds and incorporate cornmeal into the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Cornmeal has been applied to the plants in the tray with the damping off issue. I read chamomile tea can be applied. Have you heard of this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cornmeal has been applied to the plants in the tray with the damping off issue. I read chamomile tea can be applied. Have you heard of this?
Yes, but cornmeal works better than chamomile or cinnamon. Why not put some of each? It sure won't hurt anything

Ask a Question