3 September 2015 Indian Corn Harvest

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/3 September 2015 Indian Corn Harvest/HTML/ 3 September 2015 Indian Corn Harvest
Indian corn patch was harvested today.Twenty pounds were obtained from the patch of 8 by 10 feet. A raiding squirrel has taken around half the crop over the growing season.The husks were removed and the corn placed in the shed to thoroughly dry. The kernels will be removed and the corn processed into tortillas.
dsc_70163%20september%202015%20indian%20corn%20harvest_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow! Great harvest!:D This corn looks very pretty and unique! Does it taste like regular corn?

Reaction score
Nice harvest, I have never seen Indian corn before, only in pictures. Good job :) I'm guessing Indian corn just tastes like white corn, not sweet at all :) but I am just guessing, because I have never eaten it obviously, does anyone know if the difference in the taste is too big

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are beautiful corns but I didn't know you can make tortillas with them. They must be very tasty!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I haven't seen Indian corn before. Do they taste like regular corn or are they different. I like that they are so colorful too. I am used to regular white and yellow corn around here. Great harvest!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lovely. :)
I think Indian corn is good for making corn flour or hominy but isn't really good for eating like regular sweet corn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The Indian corn is not used like the corn on the cob. It is allowed to dry,nixtamalized, then ground into flour to make various Mexican types food like tortillas etc. I suppose it could be corn on the cob at early stages of growth.Originally corn was probably all colored.

Domestic use of field corn for human use is never done. It is used for animal food. With a bit of processing those huge fields of Dent, field corn, corn make a fine cheap cereal, but most prefer the commercial corn flakes or similar. I use the Indian corn for tortillas and a ground cereal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i was wondering that myself Claudine, i always hear it was just for decoration but have always wondered if it was good for eating as well. great question!:) either way its a beautiful harvest she has

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indian corn reminds me of Thanksgiving Day, we use it to decorate our dinner table.

Ask a Question