25 August 2016 Okra

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/August%202016/25%20August%202016%20Okra/HTML/ 25 August 2016 Okra
There are four Okra plant growing very well this year due to hot dry weather. The pods must be picked daily or they get hard and inedible. The largest in this group is too mature to eat. I cut them into slices and sauté in butter. The flowers last one day and are pretty in their clean simplicity. Some years thy grow poorly due to inclement weather. This year is the best my plants have ever grown in Zone 5.
dsc_250725%20august%202016%20tomato%20celery_std.jpg

Reaction score
I love steamed or broiled okra dipped in shrimp sauce so it was one of the vegetables that I thought of planting in my backyard. It turned out to be a prolific plant that bears fruits in a couple months. Like the eggplant, it's also a very versatile vegetables that you can cook in a variety of ways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My okra does well every year, and you are exactly right, it loves the hot and dry. I tend to forget to water (often) but my okra doesn't seem to mind. We harvest and roast it whole in the oven, with a little olive oil and salt, pepper, and various herbs. My kids even love it. It is the one thing I feel like I have to compost the most though, because I'm always missing one or two and then suddenly they are HUGE. Right now my okra is providing the shade for my late season spinach, which was the excuse I needed to keep it going, even though I'm tired of harvesting at this point.

Ask a Question