23 August 2016 Eggplant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/August%202016/23%20August%202016%20Eggplant/HTML/ 23 August 2016 Eggplant
Twelve pounds of eggplant, dusky and black magic, were made into 11 liters of pressure canned juice, 15 PSI for 15 minutes. About five pounds of large cucumbers were added, not shown in the pictures. Five liters of water was added to the cooking pot to make a drinkable consistency. There was little residue from the food mill straining, so on this was not put through the Champion juicer. Annotated photos depict the process.
dsc_242723%20august%202016%20eggplant_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Is your eggplant cucumber juice tasty? I have never had that. What does it taste like? I do love eggplants, and cucumbers, individually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Most of the pressure canned vegetable juices have similar tastes and even texture. The preserving method is a convenient, simple, safe method of utilizing excess garden vegetables and fruit for off season use.

I simply drink several glasses of various doing the day assuming, I am getting some nutrients. I consider the material to be far superior to any commercial juices. This week I will have consumed all the material preserved during 2015, around 500 liter jars. Then I start on the 2016 which was rhubarb/apple started on 31 May 2016.

I juice cucumbers alone and also mixed with other current vegetables. They make a fine drink. My cucumbers are finished for the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Your eggplant photo series is fantastic!
I never thought about making juice with my eggplants. Maybe next year. My cukes & eggplants are basically done this year too. I made tons of refrigerator pickles with the cukes and roasted lots of eggplant and froze it for the winter.

I made tomato juice and peach-tomato juice and pressure canned it to. My cardiologist would love it if I ate the way you do in your blog.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Nice pick. I have had egg plants before but they didn't become very big and didn't produce a lot of fruit. I think that I didn't choose a good variety. I'm going to try again next year with another type.

Ask a Question